Monday, July 31, 2023

...ASSIDUITY...


"Cause he's my best friend
He's my pal
He's my homeboy
He's my rotten soldier
He's my sweet cheese
My good time boy"
-unknown author-


I knew I wanted to open this post, with this song, but I didn't know which version, just knew I wanted a live version. The Beatles of course wrote and recorded the original, but I don't think they were playing live anymore during this point in their existence....or were they...IDFK. The remaining two Beatles, in 2015 did the worst karaoke version you can possibly find...honest to the Gods, I could do better wasted (the only way I ever did karaoke). So went on a very brief pilgrimage to pay homage to what I felt was it's sentiment (or at least my version of the sentiment). It has been covered a lot by a variety of folks mostly playing their own karaoke versions that sadly are just weak imitations of the original. There were two close contenders vying for the honor of being posted here at RdM (hahah). Coming in a very close second was the first version I had ever heard, besides the Beatles one...Joe Cocker's performance at Woodstock, which makes it  emphatically clear that, from the way Joe looked at it, FUCK YEAH he gets by with a little help from his friends! Then again, the genius that was Mr. John Belushi did a cover of Joe's version on SNL that rivaled it (must be seen to be believed)...seriously, John Belushi was the flame that for a brief time that burned so brightly). The version that conveys what I'm feeling at the moment, in general, about my friends and more specifically, my best friend, Mr. Pickles is one by James Taylor. Moms was a huge fan of Mr. Taylor (that is reason enough, in itself) and I just love how he wraps the words into a warm heartfelt hug, one that you might reserve for only the dearest of friends...err, um...Mr. P!


Photo taken a couple nights ago by my Granddaughter Madeline. Mr Pickles on the lookout riding shotgun during a truck ride on the back roads of Wildhorse Township in NoWhere fucking Kansas! 

Hands down, my favorite Napalm Death tune going back to 1988, when this album was released...third to last tune on side two of one of the greatest albums ever released. They've had a long history and still play to this day, although it's doubtful there's any original members in the band of today. If you want to get technical, they started in 81, with a song a compilation tape. I would say that '81 to sometime before the time Scum was released in '87, was a totally different band than the Grindcore Gods they were, for several years. In fact, there were no original band members left when Scum was recorded. The departure of Mick Harris (easily one of my favorite drummers), was huge for me and really the end of my listening to them, but I'm curious about the albums prior to Jesse Pintado's death. Anyway, behold, what I consider NDs finest moment in over 40 years existence (if in name only).


Hands down the best dog I've ever had at riding shotgun...I have future hopes and dreams with him...

Had this on VHS but the crackhead gal that I was hanging out with, around the time of the Twin Towers, named Victoria, stole it...long story...suffice it to say, it was at a serious low point, in the half century or so, that I've been one of the cannibals shuffling along on this decaying planet. I doubt she is even still alive, but if she happened to make it, I wish her only good will as she had a spark of inner beauty that was left, I saw it, even if it was so miniscule compared to the person she had become. In fact, now that I think about it, I feel guilt for having been the one that poked the beast in her by taking her to shoot heroin with me when she was already 2 months clean...hmmm.


Mentally Murdered, live as fuck!


A rare break from his duties on shotgun...


Fuck On The Beach is a band I've heard of, but never took the time to listen to...yeah one of those. How could you go wrong with a powerviolence band from Tokyo...well, you fiucking can't!?!? These guys did not disappoint after a lengthy trip down their YT rabbit hole. Live, studio, past, present, etc. it's all fucking good and you get some serious street cred for getting your vinyl start in 1998 on the almighty Slap A Ham Records. I have been on a Japanese hardcore-esque historical adventure for a while. My longtime virtual pal, Sean, former of the legendary blog, Damaging Noise, now doing the highly trafficked Selfish Few blog, has been posting some serious tunage in that Japanese vein. There is just something different about Japanese hardcore and when the later hardcore sub-genre, powerviolence thing kicked into gear, the Japan take on that was unique as well. Made a pretty damn good sampling of that 40+ year history on a comp CDr (which of course no one listens to anymore...do folks even buy CD players anymore). Here's the list of bands I put on the 80 minute comp...Aburadako, Acute, Bastard, Baws, Confuse, Crow, Crude, Deadless Muss, Death Side, Disclose, Envy, Fuck On The Beach, Gai, Gastunk, Gauze, Ghoul, G.I.S.M., Human Gas, Laughin' Nose, Lip Cream, M-78, Mobs, Nightmare, Outo, S.O.B., SS, The Clay, The Comes, The Execute, The Stalin, Think Again, Warhead, and Zouo.


Uh oh Mustard...I saw some shit!


Sayyadina! Ove Wiksten has to be the fastest drummer I have ever heard/seen...it's a real crime against humanity that he can longer play...a true otherworldly talent.


What's up Mustard?


Gonna finish this off by taking it down a notch, on a completely different plain...I don't trust a suit but I'll make an exception for the Dave Brubeck Quartet...


Crashed! Good night y'all...until next time...if there is.




No comments:

Post a Comment