Monday, October 27, 2008

Halloween Rant

Drunk O Ween This picture seems to be circulating again now that Halloween is around the corner and it made me glad that I'm not a drunk anymore.  Drink, throw up, hangover, the next morning, start the cycle over.  It's been a little over 3 years now that I haven't had a drink and for me that's reason enough to celebrate.  My life has drastically changed for the better since then and I would say that my whole way of thinking is different (if you can call it thinking).  Before I was a slave to the bottle and now I am a slave to nothing.  I have my wife, my son, my family, my friends and my animals.  Reason enough to enjoy each and every day.  Cheers to all of you (I sincerely mean that) who can drink and get up the next morning without wanting to get drunk again.  Beware though, there is a fine line between someone who gets drunk and is a drunk, and in my case I found out too late.  Okay enough preaching.  Thanx to all of you who have stood by me through the sand and the boulders. zombie Around here Halloween is our favorite holiday, one we actually decorate for.  I think it should be a day off from work, more so than 4th of July, but I don't think that's going to happen.  In this neck of the woods, smack dab in the middle of the bible belt, you get a lot of right wing Christians who have a problem with Halloween celebrations.  As has become custom around here, I commit the falacy of appealing to authority and I link you to Wikipedia. Here's their general take on Halloween, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halloween .  I don't like the capitalist end of the gig but what can you do about that except do your own thing.  For me it is a spiritual time, maybe not in some time honored sense but just the "feeling" that it just is.  My wife and I are, as it is, horror freaks and have an ever increasing horror movie collection.  That sick sense that attracts us to well delivered gore.  Even a little comedy thrown in, to turn it to satire works well.  "Feast" we recently saw, with Henry Rollins in the cast was a good one.  We get most of our movies through someone else's window, if you know what I mean, but we did buy that one.  At the same time a bad horror movie can be extremely disappointing.  For instance, do not waste your time on "Haunted Highway".  Any favorites or recomendations you all have? Cisco Off the Halloween topic, the old lady and I were driving around the other day listening to the classic rock radio station we usually listen to and War's Cisco Kid came on.  I need to dig out my old tape of theirs from the 70's and do a proper post on them.  I know those guys are known for the song Low Rider but man Cisco Kid is just so damn good.  Check it out if you don't believe me, Cisco Kid.  Well?  In looking around it was their highest charting tune at #2 in 1972.  I guess this month they came out with a live record, which is the first in quite a few years.  I saw them at the San Diego Street Scene about 15 years ago but I don't remember much (because I was drunk).  It makes me think of Parliment and Funkadelic, but I'll bore you guys with a post or two of those bands another time. Jazz13 As you can tell this is kind of a random, wandering post and actually I'd be surprised if you made it this far.  If you've been reading what I've been writting for almost a year now you know that I've mentioned jazz a few times.  I haven't done a straight or fusion jazz post yet but I did run across this tune, Mystery Jazz.  I had been ripping some poorly labeled tapes and this tune (or is it just part of a tune) popped up out of nowhere on the tape.  Pretty intense stuff especially if you like drum solos. trick or treat Instead of a trick, I am going to give you a treat.  Here's a Mustard Relics Mix of stuff I have found both here and on other blogs.  Mostly hardcore like this blog but I have wandered a bit as well.  49 tunes and 77 minutes, so it should fit on a CDR, to blast at your convenience.  Maybe to get you pumped on your way to work, or if you can, maybe at work to annoy your co-workers.  Pretty random and in no particular order, like me, but I like every tune on here and maybe you will too.  This mix goes out to the dead drunk guy, killed walking across the highway that Match and I found on Halloween about 15 years ago.  Happy Halloween yall.

No comments:

Post a Comment