
Had a crazy day today all because I forgot to take one of those important pills before crashing last night. Made up for it though and got to have a smoke with the old lady at home while taking care of my doctor prescribed sanity. If there's a lesson to be learned it's what the band Generic said "use your brain don't screw it up". Speaking of crazy, that's a word that describes all the different kinds of emails I get. It's interesting what the spam filter leaves for you to pick through. Even starting to get spam sneaking through around here if you guys have noticed before I delete them. Of course there is that essential email that you get from people that are close but it's all that other stuff that keeps you on your toes. Is it because just once I tried to get that free iPod phone that some add said I had won? Not just in email but especially on TV it seems like everyone is needing a bigger dick. Hell I don't know, you know how you get all kinds of emails these days, hell my grandfather, at 80 has even started to get into doing it. Once in a while I get one that makes me think or chuckle more than usual and I thought I'd pass one on here.
The Law of the Garbage Truck
One day I hopped in a taxi and we took off for the airport. We were driving in the right lane when suddenly a black car jumped out of a
parking space right in front of us. My
taxi driver slammed on his brakes, skidded, and missed the other car by just inches! The driver of the other car whipped his head around and started yelling at us. My taxi driver just smiled and waved at the guy. And I mean he was really friendly. So I asked, 'Why did you just do that? This guy almost ruined your car and sent us to the hospital!' This is when my taxi driver taught me what I now call, 'The Law of the Garbage Truck.' He explained that many people are like garbage trucks. They run around full of garbage, full of frustration, full of anger, and full of disappointment. As their garbage piles up, they need a place to dump it and sometimes they'll dump it on you. Don't take it personally. Just smile, wave, wish them well, and move on.Don't take their garbage and spread it to other people at work, at home, or on the streets. The bottom line is that successful people do not let garbage trucks takeover their day. Life's too short to wake up in the morning with regrets, so...Love the people who treat you right. Pray for the ones who don't. Life is ten percent what you make it and ninety percent how you take it!
Every once in a while I stray from the classic rock radio station the wife and I listen to, and try out the top 40 station. Heard a song that I really liked that they used to play a while back by the band/singer Everlast called
What It’s Like off the album Whitey Ford Sings The Blues. Not a popular music guy for the most part even though that's mostly what's in this post, but damn the lyrics are so good in that song. Check it,
"We've all seen the man at the liquor store beggin' for your change
The hair on his face is dirty, dreadlocked and full of mange
He ask the man for what he could spare with shame in his eyes
Get a job you fuckin' slob's all he replied
God forbid you ever had to walk a mile in his shoes
'Cause then you really might know what it's like to sing the blues
Then you really might know what it's like
[x4]
Mary got pregnant from a kid named Tom who said he was in love
He said don't worry about a thing baby doll I'm the man you've been dreamin' of
But three months later he said he won't date her or return her call
And she sweared god damn if I find that man I'm cuttin' off his balls
And then she heads for the clinic and she gets some static walkin' through the doors
They call her a killer, and they call her a sinner, and they call her a whore
I've seen a rich man beg
I've seen a good man sin
I've seen a tough man cry
I've seen a loser win
And a sad man grin
I heard an honest man lie
I've seen the good side of bad
And the down side of up
And everything between
I licked the silver spoon
Drank from the golden cup
Smoked the finest green
I stroked the baddest dimes at least a couple of times
Before I broke their heart
You know where it ends
Yo, it usually depends on where you start
I knew this kid named Max
He used to get fat stacks out on the corner with drugs
He liked to hang out late at night
Liked to get shit faced
And keep pace with thugs
Until late one night there was a big gun fight
Max lost his head
He pulled out his chrome .45
Talked some shit
And wound up dead
Now his wife and his kids are caught in the midst of all of his pain
You know it crumbles that way
At least that's what they say when you play the game"
I guess Everlast was also a member of House of Pain who did that "Jump Around" thing (worthy of a post?). Another guy from House of Pain went on to be in Limp Bizkit (oh boy). Anyway I checked out the whole Whitey Ford... album and could not come up with another tune I dig except another radio hit
Ends.
On that radio theme, my classic rock station, like all radio stations, even ones playing older tunes, tends to play the same songs over and over again. One such song is
Tom Sawyer by Rush. The version I've given you here is the live version. No doubt the very best of musicians in Rush, but I just can't get past my memories of anti-punk stoners listening to it over and over again at the park across the street from my house in the very early 80's. Another tune they play but not nearly as often, as say Ozzy's Crazy Train, is
Hello I Love You (mix) by the Doors.
Hello I Love You (live) is probably one of my favorite Doors tunes but I'm not sure why as I'm not a big fan of songs with lthe word love in the title. My bro Alex was one of the hugest Doors fans ever back in college and probably secretly still is. The Doors were anything but a typical rock band though but ended up having another dead doper for a singer.
There's
Gary Jules - Mad World, there's
Tears For Fears - Mad World and there's
R.E.M. - Mad World. My favorite is R.E.M.'s version but the tune is so good it would be hard to mess it up. I was always a secret R.E.M. fan. Dude's voice is just so damn good. Do you have a favorite or do you even like the tune?
Twenty something years ago I would not be caught dead listening to Motley Crue but I think age has softened me up a bit. If you follow this blog though you can tell my musical taste is varied, maybe it's always been that way. I've always had a hard time stomaching that rock star thing, but my rocker wife has definately rubbed off on me. The other day I heard
Looks That Kill and I have to admit I was kind of rockin out to it. The steady beat and the constant chug of the guitar, simple but effective. That one's for you Kim because you got the looks that kill.
Finally (did anyone make it this far) Warhead's (Japan)
Pride As A Human Being is the best (new to me) three minute song I've heard in a long time. I got it from
http://churchofzer.blogspot.com/, a newer music blog with an interesting take on some pretty damn good musical selections. The vocals are over the top on this tune and I've been grooving to that crusty sound lately.
Well if you made it this far I am very impressed and surprised. Thank you for doing that.
No comments:
Post a Comment