
Starting to get cold fellas, with the days getting shorter, I know Fall is here and Winter's around the corner. Ironic thinking of Winter coming, because in my semi-random internet wanderings I stumbled upon the story of the
Wounded Knee Massacre. The story is a symbol of so much that went on back then and it bothers me reading it today as much as it did when I first read it 25 years ago. If you ever want to read a piece of history that will make your blood boil about the establishment that would be an excellent place to start. So many similarities to today, the greedy, ignorant, insensitive masses and lying politicians with their Christian/patriotic facades. I can remember in high school, my history teacher asking me in the middle of class, what I thought of what we did to the "Indians". I told him IT SUCKS! That may have been one of those days I was drunk in class, can't remember for sure. What did Dave MDC sing, "why's the system so straight and me so bent"? What's interesting is that I do this to myself all the time, fueling a fire of anger concerning what has gone on/is going on. So I wander on the internet a little more and I run across a site like the
Gallows Gallery. That one will cheer you up and maybe even appeal to the sadist in all of us. You know I looked at every page/picture on that blog. Something cheerful is what I need every once in a while. An additive free cigarette, a cup of really good coffee and some music.

I had a request for some Fear of God from a young guy who uses the nickname, GG Allin, who I had given a hard time for writing some things about me on his site a while back. His comments have been a welcome addition around here so I though I would oblige him.
Erich has posted quite a bit from his old band on his site (some of the links no longer work), but he did me one better and sent me this one a while back (I mentioned that before). It was about time I posted these guys if I wanted to keep with the theme of this site (see header at the top) because I can remember the first time I heard them back in 1987(8?). I was at my friend Ron's house (I've mentioned him and my friend Bob several times) doing what we did sometimes, smoke good weed and listen to music. He put these guys on, I still have the tape that I dubbed from that session, and I was blown away. You know Grindcore was still young and I was very familiar with bands like Repulsion and Napalm Death, but this was something different. Similar but they stood all by themselves as something unique, as different as Repulsion was from Napalm Death. From the first song, "Controlled By Fear" I was hooked. By the fifth song, when Erich announces "Two Sides Of The Coin", I told Ron to start it all over, but this time we would put a tape in and hit record. You know that was a good session, because on top of Fear Of God being on that tape, there is Terrorizer, Dead Horse and Stark Raving Mad. I believe that was the first self titled 7" and when I went and looked for it I couldn't find it to buy for myself. Still kicking myself for that one. Anyway I could go on and on but you need to read what this guy Joseph has to say over at
Joseph Love's It. Now this very well packaged bootleg, Born Blind, released in 2003 is interesting in that it is one of those records where one side just rips and the other side is a disappointment. The first side is a rehearsal recorded 1988 and the sound and energy is just perfect, definitely worthy of putting on vinyl. Like some sort of long lost material. The second side, a live show recorded in 1987 is such a poor recording, I was left wondering if they couldn't find something better. There is so much good live FOG stuff out there and this mess of static and tape hiss just doesn't match up. I didn't bother breaking that side up into tracks. Those first 5 tunes though are well worth a listen, check it out.
[youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTj1s8KDDeU&w=790&h=593]
No comments:
Post a Comment