Friday, December 18, 2009

KaAos - Valtio Tuhoaa Ei Rakenna & Nukke 7"s

At 40, my beat up body feels like I'm 60 and my burnt out mind must be approaching that of an 80 year old. With that in my mind, there is a good posibility that I may repeat myself accidentally. On the other hand I guess if it's important enough I may do so intentionally. It will be tough to tell, especially to me. It's funny because when I was a kid my great grandfather would tell us kids stories about the many places he had been in life. He had actually lived in Burbank back in the 1920's, which was a place I called home in the 80's for about 6 years. He couldn't believe my descriptions of how they terraced the hills, concreted the LA river and how there were almost a 90 thousand people living there. The best stories though for a young boy like myself were the ones during his time as a soldier during World War 1. War is always a brutal thing but somehow that war was particularly nasty and for him was highlighted by his time spent as a POW in Germany. He had been injured, with gang green and carried the shrapnel with him until he died at almost a 100 years old. So the funny forgetful part is that he would be telling these stories to us kids and every once in a while, from the kitchen, my great grandmother would yell, "Joe, you already told them that story". We never cared that he repeated himself, and even though I don't have that much exciting to tell, maybe you won't care if I repeat myself either.

bd-jcPart of forgetting that you've already said or posted something, is forgetting to do it in the first place. So a while back I did a Fear of God post that featured a picture of the murdered chief Spotted Elk, aka, Big Foot, and I had meant to share a tune with yall at that time.   Check out Johnny Cash - The West Big Foot.  Kinda cool because you get to hear Mr. Cash do spoken word, then the tune, which is how each song is on his 1972 album, "America".  So on that Cash tip, my buddy Mike, in the comments of the last post, mentioned that I needed to check out some stuff with Bob Dylan and Johnny Cash doing a song together.  Pretty incredible when you consider the magnatude of these two dudes, check the tune that Mike recommended, Girl From The North Country.  Now that tune was the only one used at the time from some sessions these two did back in 1969.  It was on Dylan's "Nashville Skyline", but the whole series of tunes was released, maybe in some kind of a bootleg format.  Trip out on those sessions, I got the whole thing from a blog called, interestingly, Doctor Mooney's 115th Dream.  Well worth checking out.  You can catch a video of the two of them doing that tune on Youtube, here. With Christmas, Hanukkah, Kwanzaa, the Winter Solstice and God knows what else you do or don't celebrate, you guys might want to check out this thing a buddy of mine in England sent me called White Trash X Mas.  Offensive?  Recently had to straighten out some locals when they took offense at the holiday being called "X-Mas".  They spewed the usual hypocritical, ignorant bullshit, about "putting Christ back into Christmas".  I had to refer them to the facts.  Fucking people always worried about what the fuck I'm doing, when they need to be educating themselves and worrying about what they are doing. A while back my buddy Erich sent me some records, I've already posted a few and mentioned it several times, so here's another one.  Dug the first one he sent me enough to keep my eyes open and pick up another one.  KaAos.  Really don't know much about them, everything is in Finnish on the records.  Valtio... was recorded in 1983, but wasn't released until 1996 on Fight Records.  And then, Nukke was recorded in 1985, but wasn't released until 1993 on Fight Records and then again in 2000 on Havoc Records (my copy).  Not too sure what the deal is with these recordings not being released until years later.  Regardless, here they are and this is some slammin shit.  I don't know enough about Finnish hardcore to say that these guys have a typical sound for the region, but I would say there are a lot of influences here.  Discharge for sure, some Disorder, maybe some Japanese stuff.  It all works though and KaAos is a good name for what they sound like.  Go figure, with my backround, that one of the members would die recently of an alcohol related death.  Start out with the first two tunes from each EP to get a feel for what they're about. [youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3jLATPOusrY&w=790&h=593]

No comments:

Post a Comment