Saturday, December 5, 2009

Pass Out Kings - s/t cd

fishermans-friendYou guys ever tried Fisherman's Friend menthol throat lozenges?  That's the shit. Back in my screaming and hollaring to music days, that was the miracle cure when my voice was starting to go.  These days, when it gets cold outside and I get that persistently annoying smokers cough it takes the edge off a bit.  And it is getting cold here as I'm sure it is elsewhere.  Was just emailing a buddy that I don't mind the cold at all, let it hit 0 degress, just don't let the face scorching wind come up.  Not really any snow so far and just a little bit of the dreaded ice, but we'll see what father winter has in store for us yet. hahahahworkI think my friend Jay must have been the man behind the words on this sign.  I definitely don't miss the days of city traffic, an hour to go 15 miles.  These days unless you get some farm equipment, an oil drilling rig or just some old timer who likes to mosey (to move in a leisurely, relaxed way; saunter), which you may have to shoot around to avoid head on collisions, 15 miles = 15 minutes.  At night I drive a little slower, especially since one of my headlights is out from hitting a turkey this summer, because the animals are out in full force at dusk and dawn.  Haven't done it yet, but nothing like hitting a deer.  My buddy Chris here at work (all my friends here, are people I work with, it's a special breed that enjoys working with people with disabilities), has hit a deer on his motorcycle which took him for what could have been a pretty nasty spill if it weren't for the helmet and full leathers.  This year his wife hit and killed a deer, so he got a tag from the game warden and they butchered it.  I wish people would do that more often, instead of it just being a wasted life.  As it is most animals are left on the road until the guys whose job it is to clean up the carcasses come along.  I think they take all the animals they find and throw them into some kind of smorgesborg at the rendering plant where they become dog food. So I didn't get much of an enthusiastic response to my last post, I guess I don't attract people into early 80's New Wave dance music.  So how about a cover of the tune?  The Donnas - Safety Dance  Not much of a response to The Prodigy either, c'mon guys that tune Breathe rocks. Trying to keep the music flowing into my collection, but of course I'm a broke ass MoFo so I go cheap.  The lots on Ebay are kind of fun because you can bid on them because there might be one record you're familiar with and the rest are like a grab bag.  Got one for seriously almost nothing the other day from a guy who runs a label/ distro thing that you guys might be into.  Check out IFB Records, the guy who runs, Nevin, is really down to earth and has a sweet DIY thing going on.  Anyway, one of the 7"s I got was a four way split between Ground Monkeys, Mouthus, Dosdedos and Tan As Fuck on Heat Retention records.  Not really worth posting on it's own as 3 of the four tunes did nothing for me but one was worth sharing, even it was just because it's a strange avante garde saxophone kind of trip.  Check it, Dosdedos - Un Momento I know I'm all over the place and that goes with what I'm listening to as well.  Haven't sent you over to my bro Jason's Lo Res Viscera in a while but he put something on my plate that I'm still in the process of digesting.  If you like rare highquality recordings and you like you metal black and without frills, or as he put it, "cold raw hypnotic", then you'll dig Bone Awl.  See what you think with the first tune, Bone Awl - Lifeless And Perfect.  Some serious shit right there, that for some reason made me grit my teeth and growl "fuck yeah".  Must be Satan or something. pok1Well my main man in Eugene Oregon, Ed,  hooked me up again with some taste treats from out his way (actually as far as I know, Ed is the only person I know in Eugene, damn fine place to visit or so I remember from almost 20 years ago).  Got this CDR in the mail from him and been sitting on it for long enough, so here we go.  I can honestly say I don't know shit about these guys except for the 15 tunes I'm presenting to you here.  They have a myspace that you can check out under their name, Pass Out Kings.  Other than that there is seriously no web presence for these guys, which tells me they must have been a regional thing and Ed confirmed that they were the shit for a while in the Eugene.  Straight forward no bull shit hardcore, played by older guys, in the new millenum.  The kind of band you could see at your local club/bar a hundred times and never get sick of.  I don't know what else to say except give them a spin and let me know what you think.  Later. Out Of The Fog Free Love Smashface And Halfhead She's Having A Baby No more, Never Again Fist Fight Secret Hippy Woodcrow Dreamcatcher Frustration Me First One Pump Chump Intergalactic Hellathon Arcane Peter Panarchy

 

No comments:

Post a Comment