Monday, January 11, 2010

Conflict - The House That Man Built 7"

For those of you who used to draw dicks on your desks back in school. Maybe you still have that fixation. I had a post office box about ten years ago, back when my life, and where I was living, was uncertain. I was pretty much drunk 24/7 at that time. I must have missed a notice, so they closed my box and sent all my mail back to the senders. Needless to say the Filipino postal worker (for some reason everywhere I have lived in SoCal, it seems that for Filipinos the postal service is a popular place to work) who happened to be at the counter that day, was subjected to my drunken irrational wrath.  Makes me think of that song off the P.E.A.C.E. comp..."For my hate is so strong it's disturbing my head"... S.C.U.M. - So Much Hate

I know that in this world there are examples of much more extreme weather than you can find in the fair state of Kansas, but at times here, it is, at the very least, uncomfortable.  I've said it before, when it's 0(F) degress outside, it's plenty cold but when those heavy winds start blowing and the wind chill gets to -25(F) degrees or more, it takes you to a whole new dimension. I have an office job (some driving too in a heated car) and I really just have to spend time out there doing a few animal related chores (and smoking), so I feel for those that have to work in it. Got sent this poem and thought it was worth sharing. It's winter in Kansas And the gentle breezes blow Seventy miles an hour At twenty-five below. Oh how I love Kansas When the snow's up to your butt You take a breath of winter And your nose gets frozen shut.. Yes, the weather here is wonderful, So, I guess I'll hang around I could never leave Kansas , My ass is frozen to the ground..

Man, that show would have been something to see. I still make it a practice getting new vinyl every now and again, I'm not just stuck in the past. Pretty isolated here so mailorder is the practice. I've mentioned it before, if you like grind/metal/power violence/hardcore, do yourself a favor and get something at Deep Six Records.  Older and newer bands, with stuff from the past and recent stuff. Just got a couple of 7"s in the mail, one especially worth mentioning, Outlaw Order. Originally released in 2003 on Southern Lord Records, but this repress has an extra live track. Pretty much starting from where Eye Hate God (four or five of the same members) left off with some outstanding sludgy stuff. A sample... Outlaw Order - Illegal In 50 States Conflict, the UK one, is a love em or leave them band.  Some would say outspoken others would say loud mouths.  In the early 80's I had pretty much gotten everything by the band Crass, so I started checking out other bands on the label.  Lots of good stuff to be found on that label mostly under that anarcho-punk flag.  What made these guys stand out for me was that I felt there was some kind of continuity between Crass and Conflict.  They kind of took up where Crass left off.  I especially thought that when Crass released "Acts Of Love" and "Ten Notes On A Summer Day", and the disappointment I felt there.  Maybe I was too young to get any of that shit, I've been meaning for a while to give those two records a spin again to see if my opinion is the same.  In human behavior, most of what we do is  a response to some other event(s).  Maybe those records were a response to something I was unaware of.  So this 7" on Crass Records, Conflict's first release, bubbles over with angry intelligence.  Like a toilet clogged with a turd, overflowing.  This was their response to whatever events.  Maybe they were just a Crass clone as a lot of bands seemed to be from that time and place, but I wasn't there and in hindsight don't really know that much about anything anyway.  Four very different sounding songs here, but they all have that feel.  The first tune, and I guess just both tunes on side one, has always been my favorite.  The self titled "Conflict" has everything.  Just the right amount of anger in the voice, without being contrived, sung at an inhuman pace (I included the lyrics below, try to keep up).  The distortion on the guitar is perfect and even though it takes a strong lead, the bass is there and you don't have to struggle hearing him pound away.  Last but not least is the essential military snare drum.  The second tune "Wargames" is a total contrast with the female vocals.  I don't know, who am I trying to sell this to?  Give it a listen alright?

[youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vyuo8oQ-BZY&w=560&h=315]

Looking for an answer to end all the violence But you'll find no solutions behind that white paper Looking for a way to break down that fence Do you really believe in this ludicrous caper?

Mountbatten Murdered - A rebel gunman's been shot dead "They're all murdering bastards" - Or was that something that I read? Well, whatever I read - It's just the fucking same Death, destruction, violence and pain.

This side, that side. That side, this side What side? any side. You can't side me. This side, that side. That side, this side What side? any side. You can't side me.

Where could it end? What could the outcome be? One thing's for sure They'll be alot more corpses before the government begin to see A lot more screaming bullets. A lot more children dead And a lot more 'Bloody Sundays' - all painted in red.

A lot more pointless talks And a lot more death walks A whole lot more of whose tribes should rule The squaddie's on the corner. The gunman's on the roof Who's the real terrorist? - Well don't look to th4e media for your proof.

This side, that side. That side, this side What side? any side. You can't side me. This side, that side. That side, this side What side? any side. You can't side me.

The British Empire isn't what It used to be, mate And It's a bit too late to try and make It great So what's the point In fighting out there? British Constitution on a lands fate!

The 'Wengill' computer sums it all up It's just filled with reasons to cut people's lives up Well, whatever, it's just the same Death, destruction, violence and pain.

This side, that side. That side, this side What side? any side. You can't side me. This side, that side. That side, this side What side? any side. You can't side me.

I see no point In deciding Because I won't fight for troops In Ireland And I won't shoot no squadie dead And I won't smash no bastards head Because I don't wanna die Do you wanna die? Do you wanna die? Do you wanna die? Do you wanna die? Do you wanna die? Do you wanna die? Do YOU want to die?

This side, that side. That side, this side What side? any side. You can't side me. This side, that side. That side, this side What side? any side. You can't side me

No comments:

Post a Comment