Friday, January 1, 2010

VA - Out of Paint (unreleased Humboldt comp tape)

moseyReally dig animated GIFs as you might have noticed if you were fucking paying attention....hahaha.  Maybe a little distracting I thought, smoke and mirrors in the way politicians sell you a society that could possibly have a free and fair democracy AND capitalism.  So anyway my grandpa, who is in full swing forwarding email on to everyone, even though he never writes anything, because he apparently has no typing skills, coincidentally sent me this one. I must be easily mesmerized though because I can stare at that thing for long periods of time. Like a deer caught in the headlights. I am literally like the deer in some respects though because when I do pass cars with their high beams on I have a hard time not staring at the lights. Most of my relatives send me stuff that says that our once superior nation is being brought down by this president, immigration, muslims, godlessness and so on. You know there are sometimes little bits and pieces of these things I agree with. Every once in a while I am forced to write back and suggest problems like greed, intolerance and selfishness, and that everyone is ravenously consumed with what people are doing around them, while never being introspective and trying to improve the lives of those around them. Why is the focus on people who are trying to better themselves and come to this country, but not on the greedy companies/individuals who profit by hiring them (many US companies will echo the call to buy American goods, as they outsource their labor to 3rd world countries). The Muslim faith is just as narrow minded and hypocritical as the Christian faith, the only difference is that a very small minority of them are willing to blow themselves up to prove their point. As far as the godlessness, who's perception of God are we going to force upon everyone? Anyway, about the above image he sent, it represents a softer side, something far removed from the specific realities of the day, and I enjoy that every now and then. hamonryeMan that was a good read, thanx Mike.  I'm probably behind the times, not having ever read anything from Bukowski, but you can't say I'm not willing to try anything new.  I was warned by someone to stay away from Bukowski because of there is so much alcohol in his writing.  What I found though in this book was the filthy side of being a drunk.  Self destructive, self loathing and selfish.  Reminds me of me and I need to be reminded of that as opposed to the glamour of drinking.  Some of you may manage that but my drinking became disgustingly pathetic.  As far as Bukowski, I found his writing to be easy to read and easy to feel.  Painful, confused, misanthropic.  Okay that's deep enough for me. [youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03o0CUZTm7E&w=560&h=315] No one seemed to catch, read or perhaps take the challenge of listening to the entire song, "Still Loving You" by the Scorpions from my last post (a live version no less).  How about another chance?  Try this one instead,  David Essex - Rock On.  1973 and that was a damn good tune.  Dorky mofo, but he brought out the big guns when he wrote that tune.  My virtual buddy Michael Essington, in LA, says that it's played now at ll the sporting events.  That shit sounds like nothing that was going on in '73, way ahead of it's time.  It's one of those tunes that reminds me of riding in my Mom's VW bug.  Memories stored in the fire safe vault, beyond the scorched earth of my mind.  Ha, ha.  Seriously, that is a good tune.  Just for shits and giggles found this cover of it,  Smashing Pumpkins - Rock On.  Didn't ever get into the Smashing Pumpkins, but that's not important. Well I've babbled on and now that we're at the meat of the post, I'm kinda worn out, but that's okay because I don't remember much.  This is the last of the shit I have from my Humboldt days unless I start pulling out practice/rehearsal tapes.  I know these were recorded up at KHSU, 01/18/92.  I don't think Ed mentions it in his Garden Weasel Diaries.  I remember all the bands going up to the station, hanging out and recording this stuff, but no particulars, barely a flicker.  The Garden Weasel stuff is the sloppiest piece of shit I think we ever did, so I didn't include it.  I must have been wasted, which may account for not remembering anything.  There are some pretty damn good tunes here and in some cases these may be the only time these bands recorded in a studio (all two tracks of it).  I don't have shit for song titles and I hope I got the bands right.  This is pretty much exactly as it came off my tape.  I think this was going to be some kind of a comp tape or something but I don't know if that ever materialized.  The name I wrote on the tape was "Pout Of Ain't Order", but for some reason I think the tape was going to be called "Out of Order".  Maybe someone will come along and help me out with some of the details.  For now just try a tune or two and go back almost three decades to what was going on in Humboldt County, California (besides hippies in drum circles, cheesy classic rock cover bands and Reggae on the River). I sent this to John Denry, Ed Cole and Bryan Spinas to get their take on this recording. Ed said, "I do remember this session but I don't think I've ever heard it until now. I remember us playing like shit and feeling meh about the whole night. I think most bands used the same equipment. Was this all for a compilation that Utrillo and Chris Gambin were doing that never came out?" Bryan clarified, "It was two zines doing a comp tape thing, Out of Order and Paintspot were the two zines. They were going to call the comp tape Out of Paint (maybe that's were the download name came from?) Sister Placebo, My Name Is Chris, Sherilyn Fenn's Love Letters (Myself on guitar, Chris Colland on vocs, Utrillo on drums, Ben Chasney on bass), Flounder (a one song project with Peter Lewis on vocs, Chris Gambin on guitar, Chris Colland on drums and myself on bass), Tiddly Winks, Garden Weasel. It never came out." Recorded at KHSU 01/18/92 Tiddly Winks Flounder Sister Placebo One Man Running My Name Is Utrillo Sherrilyn Fenn Judy & The Loadies Hockaloogie

[youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PrCwLDChdGI&w=560&h=315]

No comments:

Post a Comment