Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Daggers Rule - Gleaming the 'Cuse 7"

As a thumbnail, this picture looks like nothing spectacular, an end of the day shot, on my shitty cell phone camera, taken from in the car on a dirt (shale) road, looking off into an early spring wheat field.   If you click on the image though you may get the surprise I got (maybe enlarge it once in case you still don't see it, my next phone is going to have a better camera in it).   Maybe not that spectacular to you but I dig that shit. Not a totally unusual occurrence, but when it does happen every once in a while I gotta stop and check them out till they take off.  The animals themselves are the perfect example of fight or flight. No telling when they're going to take flight and in which direction they'll head, in front of a car or off into the distance. Maybe sometimes not so different from people in that respect. Interesting because around here they're considered a nuisance as far as running into them and wrecking your vehicle.  At the same time people kill off coyotes, partly because they reduce the population and make it difficult for your average out of state drunk hunter to make his big kill with a 50x scope from 300 yards away.   In honor of my home state of Kansas I give you, Scorpions- Dust In The Wind (live) Love the original, actually saw Kansas in concert circa 1985.   Dude from the Scorpions really has a beautiful voice.  That tune goes out to Jay, who not only loves the Scorpions but gave me a bunk phone number.  I feel like a loser at a bar who asked some hottie for her phone number and got the number for the tranny hotline instead.  Actually Jay got me to put my dancing shoes on and turned me onto this, Motosierra - F.U.C.K Out of Uruguay and recently disbanded, unfortunately.  Some seriously rockin shit that I will be looking into and maybe picking up a 7" that I can post.  Stay tuned. Fucking anxiety is killing me with this new job starting pretty soon and when I get anxious I get a little psychotic. (Just a side note, repeated, frequent alcohol detox does damage to you psychologically. If you or someone you know needs to detox, go to a detox center, hospital or whatever, where they give you Dilantin or Librium, to not only make the detox smooth, but to keep you from killing yourself. A home remedy for that is Benadryl or Diphenhydramine).  As I said about the new job, same place, same people, a little more money and a lot more responsibility. I just don't do too hot with change.  You know when I was drunk 24/7, I could have given two shits about change or whatever kind of "difficult" situations I was confronted with, as long as when I started to get the shakes I had access to my liquor.  Nothing to hide behind anymore.  In some ways like living the lives of two separate people when you face life drunk all the time or not drunk at all. On a positive note, and I swear I will take my skipping record off the turntable with this one, but with my new job and modest raise, I will now be able to make a million $$$ in 39 years.  Actually I started working for a paycheck at 14, so after 27 years, according to my last Social Security statement, I have made around $300,000 in my lifetime.  That does not include all the under the table sprinkler systems, stump removal, garbage hauling and what not I've done over the years, and it definitely doesn't include the under the floor that's under the table stuff I've done that is, you know...illegal.  So at this pay rate and if you subtract the 300k I've already made, after another 27 years I will be making my first million.  I will be 68 years old but with smoking and the abuse of my mind and body in a variety of ways, I will be lucky to make it that long.  Lets hope they come up with a type of coffee that cures all your ailments. Don't really know too much about this Tea Party phenomenon, except that they a far far right mix of fascism, capitalism, consumerism and a militia (But like the word socialism that's getting bounced around here, who really knows what those words mean? If the right wing fundamental fanatics stopped to think about it, they'd see that there was a little socialism in the way Jesus lived. Oh, well.)  Really crazy, politically where this country is headed.  Seems like even in our status quo people are getting more and more extreme.  So much hypocrisy and it's gotten to the point where no one really cares about the facts.  I haven't investigated it too much, although it seems a little more positive than the Tea Party, there is now the Coffee Party. Anybody check them out? Just the name makes them cool. I was wanting to do a post featuring something that was relatively new (to me) and had recently picked up several records in a lot for dirt cheap. I knew nothing about any of the bands and I don't know what you do in those situations, but personally I went for what I thought had the coolest cover. This one by the Pallbearers, out of New Orleans, released in 1999, kind of fit the bill, so I simultaneously ripped and listened to it for the first time. Not bad shit, kind of reminded me of the Circle Jerks for some reason. I get the feeling that these guys are your standard drunk loser type of band, which I can relate to. Was doing some looking around to see if I could find any info on the band, and found out that you can still get this 7" from the label, even though it's now defunct at Transparent Records. You can find a lot more about them first hand from a local New Orleans type blog called NOLA 504 & More and get their more recent LPs, Sex Crime of the Century and Murder Capital there. Since you aught to support the label even though it's dead, I'll just give you my favorites, the last two songs on the record, Public Shitter Sitter (great song title) Lessening The Numbers Looking at the cover on this one, you should be able to tell be the method I spoke of earlier, why I played this one next. A band I know nothing about, Daggers Rule, out of Syracuse New York, only existed I guess from 2003 to 2005. This is a posthumous release from 2007. The name is a reference to the movie "Thrashin" which I've never seen. Released on Barbarossa Records, it's out of print, but you may be able to find one on some obscure distro...that is if you really want to. This is some alright stuff, especially when you consider I got it in a lot of 12 7"s for under $10 ppd for all of them. The first thing that came to mind when listening to it, is that the vocals are harsher than the music (something that could be said of Garden Weasel as well). At the same time I like the vocals and I like the music. On the tunes "Revelations" and "Pissing Out the Poison", my two favorite, that seems to be less of an issue. Not sure if they're a straightedge band, but like some us, the singer talks about, the inability to drink and drug productively and how his life is different. I don't know...it's taken me forever to get around to finishing this post, so that's enough for now. Never Deny Do Not Taunt Happy Funball All Joking Aside Revelations Anon-Issue Pissing Out The Poison You Choose Poorly

 

No comments:

Post a Comment