Sunday, May 16, 2010

Zounds - live in Leiden, Holland 1982

Like Bruce Lee, my son Liam kicks ass.  He just told me about this hip hop thing he has going with some of his buddies, called Ice Men.  As you know I just dabble in rap, so it would not be my first choice in musical genres but fuck that, it does me proud to have him doing something he enjoys and doing it well (especially in music).

This place may not be the perfect forum for political discussion, I'm not exactly well equipped for that kind of stuff anyway.  Like a lot of people I'm more of an emotional reactionary really.  I do reserve the right to rant and rave every so often and at the very least I would like to experiment with logic, reason and rationality.  Last thing on immigration.  The door can be wide open to everyone who chooses to make the trip, but then a country may as well do away with borders.  It can be completely shut, in cold, selfish, isolationism.  But, if it's going to be half open, it's never going to be fair because who decides who gets in and who doesn't?  Okay that one's done in my eyes and in a way it's making me want to post Native American music.  Next post for sure, I've had one lined up for a while.  I do still feel completely disgusted by the oil that's spewing out of the bottom of the ocean.  Really symbolic of human existence and it's been that way probably since the dawn of time.  The industrial revolution was the assembly line of our own slow death (as I type on what could be the pinnacle of industrialism, the computer).  Reminds me somehow of the alcoholic.  Just the shell of a soul in a decaying body.  Those apocalyptic science fiction stories/movies don't seem as much like fiction as prophecy.  Yes I know this is overkill, but it's like they opened a door to hell and have no way of stopping the demons and tortured souls from continuously rushing out.  Like so much of human existence, you know the recipe,

2 1/2 cups of selfishness 1 lb. of greed 2 Tbs. of ignorance 3 tsp. self pity a pinch of hate add money to taste

Okay, that's enough of that, I'm starting to sound like a true punk, angry and depressed.   :-)  How about something to pick us up, a song we have sung here before, Ren and Stimpy's, Happy Happy Joy Joy A few of my buddies here, responded to the fact that I brought up Oingo Boingo a post or two ago.  Along those lines, just discovered this band, that reminds me of (The Mystical Knights of) Oingo Boingo, with the numerous musicians and that performance art style stage show, Gogol Bordello.   Gypsy Punk is how they're described and the group is getting popular in a big label kind of way. As usual though, with me the early stuff is where I start.  Kinda reminds me of Creedle (in a silly sarcastic, jazzy kind of way) or Dieselhed (in a silly sarcastic, violin/fiddle kind of way), which is a very good thing but I don't know if I could listen to more than just a few tunes at a time.  Give em a try, Haltura or Let's Get Radical Along the lines of tunes some buddies have mentioned, Mike and The Warden both mentioned the Members.  The first tune Mike suggested, at first totally unfamiliar to me, but as soon as I saw the video I remembered it immediately, The Members - Working Girl The Warden added a couple more and I'm kind of feeling like these guys are worth looking into because I know nothing, The Members - Solitary Confinement The Members - Sound Of The Suburbs Kinda cheated on this post but I do that sometimes around here, if anyone's paying attention (the next post will be from my own tapes. These tunes were originally found as two big files (same bit rate), at the incredible Kill Your Pet Puppy. All I did was separate the files into tracks (as best I could) and tag them. Penguin is the man over there who deserves huge barrels filled with thank you's for sharing his invaluable collection of music.  I posted Zounds' 1st 7" and mentioned this live recording that some people might be interested in.  Elliott stepped up to the plate and made a request, and since I had done the editing for myself it didn't take much to share that.  I REALLY like this live set, just to get a feeling for what it must have been like to see them.  Despite the fact that the singer is obviously "ill", the show sound good and has a nice energy to it

 

War Dirty Squatters New Band Not Me broken string rap Can't Cheat Karma Demystification Dancing Fear ?Great White Hunter

Target/Mr. Disney/Subvert

This Land

Not Me/Biafra

Subvert

crowd begs for more

My Mummy's Gone

</del>

&nbsp;

Since I was in the process of stealing rips and editing them, may as well share these as well.  These are from "A Tribute To Bert Weedon" which can be found again at Kill Your Pet Puppy.  These recordings tend to have more of a Grateful Dead-esque feel to them (at least to these old ears) which may be a turn off to some. If you can bring your self to listen to one, make it "Forgery". Angels Ugly Vomit Wolves Can't Cheat Karma Holland Park/Bats Forgery Hands To Time I Made It Happen

&nbsp;

No comments:

Post a Comment