Friday, April 15, 2011

Reviews #2 (Mala In Se & Swear Jar)

With spring in full swing, just trying to guess if we've seen the last frost of the season so we can start the garden. In preparation for that, got the rototiller out, but it wouldn't start. Pulled on that thing untill a blister formed and popped. It pays to winterize your equipment, but being a cheapskate I'm doomed to pay on the other end. Good thing I got the truck tagged and insured, no more taking the back roads watching the mirrors for the sheriff. I actually got a rush out of driving an untagged and unregistered vehicle, a slice of the old days when I was always looking over my shoulder (I don't miss that). So tossed the tiller in the truck...actually had to have a buddy come over to help me, even my burly (haha) ass can't pick that son of bitch up. Off to another buddy's shop to have it wait in line behind the other buggered equipment for it's chance to purr again. Because I'm a friend and an all around nice guy though, I get pushed further and further back in line by assholes who come in and demand that their shit gets fixed first. After about a week my buddy tells me the tiller is ready to bring life to soil once again, so this morning I drove my trusty truck to town so I could pick the tiller up after work. After a long day at work, it seems like they're all long, I head over to my buddy's shop. He's got the battery charged on it so I don't have to pull the cord like an idiot and the thing fires right up and he tells me it's only going to cost 28 bucks. Ahhhhhh...the relief. My buddy, on top of working on small engines also works on motorcycles, so as usual I check out what he's got in the shop and we shoot the shit. The highlight of the conversation is his story of how he almost died in the shop about three months back. He had gotten shit faced drunk after getting into a verbal altercation with his ex-girlfriend (another friend and co-worker of mine) at the bar. He lives in the back of his shop so being an old biker dude who is shit faced drunk and pissed the fuck off he decides to work on a motorcycle. Somewhere in there he passes out and smashes the back of his head open on another bike and proceeds to bleed to death on the floor in a pool of ever growing blood. At some point he comes to comes to, can't find his glasses leaving him blind, no cell phone either and proceeds to wander all over his shop, leaving blood on the lamp, the computer, the walls, and tells himself that he's going to just accept death. A little while later something inside of him, he has no explanation except God, tells him that he needs to live and it's up to him if he's going to do it. Somehow he gets over to the hospital. He is completely covered in blood so the doctor has a hard time finding where the blood is coming from, but sets up an IV to get some blood back into him. After 20 stitches and getting a lecture about how shit faced he is, the doctor tells him that if he'd have waited another half hour he would have been dead.  I tell him that I'm stoked that he's still alive, but for some reason I didn't ask him if this was a life changing experience for him.  So after an hour of shooting the shit, I'm ready to take my working rototiller home and setting myself up with a pot of coffee.  Hop in my truck...but it won't start. After I did that United Sons of Turmoil review the label sent me their CD and two others to check out.  The first one... BAND: Mala In Se LOCATION: Cincinnati, Ohio USA RECORD: Mala In Se's self-titled, full-length album is the band's debut release and the 26th release for Phratry Records since the label began in 2004. RELEASE DATE: Spring 2011 RIYL: Lightning Bolt, Slayer, Propagandhi, High On Fire, metal/punk hybrids BAND WEBSITE: http://www.malainse.com LABEL WEBSITE: http://www.phratryrecords.com ADDITIONAL INFORMATION Mala In Se (Cincinnati, Ohio) is a three-piece noise-rock/art-metal band. A frenzied detour from the normal world of rock, punk and metal, the band de-constructs concepts from a large cache of musical genres, yet they've concocted a truly unique sound and vision.  The foundation of Mala In Se's sound begins with the (un)usual combination of guitar, bass, and drums. Then it becomes dense with layers of samples, feedback, and auxiliary percussion. Lyrics are delivered in numerous, unsettling ways via shrieks (Joseph Thompson) and yells (Andy Perkins). And since the completion of this album, newly acquired drummer Danny McPherson adds an even more urgent agility to the music.  The album shifts from enormous amounts of physical energy to teardrops of minimalist soundscapes. Tempos go from blindingly-fast to a sluggish crawl before you can even count the meter. This band is a genre-bursting amalgamation of post-punk/thrash/avant-garde/nosie/math-rock and new age, with a little nod to free jazz in a live setting. What holds it all together is confident musicianship that allows the listener to lock-in with the compositions.  The term 'Mala In Se' means "wrongs in themselves; acts morally wrong; offenses against conscience." It is a concept that spews from the band's lyrics which focus on subjects such as animal testing/animal cruelty, back-room deals and government conspiracies, environmentalism and self-awareness. Don't know why I include those press releases.  I guess I feel inadequate with my own powers of the written word, which is akin to my swimming, I can swim to save my life, but that's about it.  If you don't like what I have to say at least you have someone's expert take. There's a style to a review, my buddy Mike talked about it once at his place, a genre that's almost scripted, maybe a little cheezy.  My first thoughts on the band which I shared with the label when I was asking for a hard copy, "the shit kicks ass in seven different ways."  These guys definitely can play their instruments, but that isn't what makes them good, even though I kinda dig them.  First band that came to mind was Creedle as far as what in my experience they sound like.  Creedle maybe have the upper hand musician wise but, Mala In Se are all over the place.  A pretty wide variety of sounds, reflecting numerous influences, with kind of that technical progressive jazz feel.  Not a boring moment on this thing, even though the songs are longer than I like them (I have to get over that, shit I love Black Sabbath's first album).  The songs with all the changes don't seem to have that boring old 4/4, verse/chorus thing going on.  Still trying to wrap my head around the vocalist but these guys are well worth a listen.  Start out with this one off their 7" that's include with the vinyl release, but not on the CD... Conjoin Trip on their jazz-metal stylings... Stay Afloat and a live tune I ripped from one of their youtube vids.. Time Lapse Photography of Decomposing Animals SWEAR JAR (Cincinnati, Ohio) does not belong in this decade. Their sound is the result of an evolution started by bands such as Drive Like Jehu, Jesus Lizard, Shellac, Fugazi, and Pitchblende.  Audience members have also drawn parallels to Minutemen, NoMeansNo and The Crucifucks—most likely due to Swear Jar’s minimalist style and uniquely energetic presentation. Cuss is for fans of early SST, Alternative Tentacles and Touch & Go releases.The members of Swear Jar share a common enthusiasm for refreshingly new, bombastic, hardcore rock, garnished with unexpected transitions. It’s music that makes you think, but still makes you move. Some have described Swear Jar as ‘music for musicians’. Most people won’t like it. And that’s just fine by both the band and label. You either get it, or you don’t. If you don’t love Swear Jar, you probably hate them. The band is focused on exploring new ideas and applying them to punk, underground, indie, or whatever kind of "rock" you want to call it this week. Swear Jar is three friends who make music together and share an interest in provoking a reaction and connecting with even the smallest audience. Two years in the making, Cuss is the band’s debut album, and the 25th release for Phratry Records in six years. Prior to the completion of this album, Swear Jar had been playing throughout the MidWest with more shows to follow in support of this new record. Above is another press release, but in a nutshell here's my take on Swear Jar...bass heavy just the way I like it, nothing worse than a bass being relegated to just an accent for the guitar and drums, and almost imperceptible. We don't have that problem here.  Another three peice, but these guys have that less is more thing going on and they certainly go heavy on the more.  A nice edge to the vocals but not annoyingly so.  Favorite tune hands down is the first track on the CD...  Sasquatch I disagree with the above where they're described as music for musicians’, this is some doen to earth easy to groove to shit.  Trip on this one to get a flavor of that and a feel for how they write lyrics that will put a grin on your face... Bury My Body Live ripped off of youtube... Sasquatch (live on Friday Night Fu)

No comments:

Post a Comment