Monday, May 2, 2011

Caterwaul Of Sound - Stabby Road

IMAG0046Some records that have come my way recently, thank God for capitalism and cheap records to be found on ebay.  Even getting some of the Record Store Day 2011 releases at cost, although some of them (not the ones I'm buying) are going for 3x what they did at the stores (Doors, Velvet Underground and ACDC).

So they killed Bin Laden today and I felt a chill, not the joy that so many felt around me.  A sadness for all the lives he was responsible for ending and anger at the world for being a breeding ground for people like him.  A buddy of mine had this quote up,

"I mourn the loss of thousands of precious lives, but I will not rejoice in the death of one, not even an enemy. Returning hate for hate multiplies hate, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that."--Martin Luther King, Jr.

A part of me wants to be happy that "we've" gotten rid of of such a vile person and really the world is a better place without him, but nothing has been a changed about the petri dish.  What makes a tree grow, where do mosquitoes breed, how do you build a fire.  But as I told one of my buddies, "I gave up leading rebellion a long time ago my friend. I've retired and, now talk out of my ass and quote from people that were better than most human beings are capable of being."

On a lighter note, some fucking insane, not your run of the mill hip hop, from '05, a buddy (one of those internet ones that I've never actually met) just turned me onto... [youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=esXFNTlLxUA&w=560&h=315]

Nazz of the killer Bleedin' Out blog who has stopped in here and left a comment or two, did me (us) a huge favor and turned me onto his band Caterwaul of Sound. I'm still up in the air about the name they chose but that means nothing when you give these guys a listen. On a Butthole Surfers post I did a little while back he left the comment, "speaking of drug addled Butthole Surfish-ish stuff, My band (Caterwaul Of Sound) just released our first album (Stabby Road) – it’s here for your perusal. Play it and watch all the animals in your neighborhood commit ritual suicide."  They have quite a few videos (where I took the snapshot from) and even their own page on youtube and not to leave anything out a myspace page too.  You can download their album and give them a complete listen and I suppose do them right and buy it as well, but I've selected what I thought were my favorites.  Several of the tunes are covers, but I kind of favored what I thought were originals (or maybe they're all covers, I just didn't recognize the rest).  Not sloppy enough to be 70's punk but they definitely are influenced and have a punk sound with a lot of other shit going on as well.  Silly, snotty, and satirical, like laughing at a guy who's puking.  The vocalist sounds very familiar, like a blend of some of your classic punk singers but he has his own sound (a little bit of Jello and definitely Johnny Rotten on the first tune when he says "problem").  The last tune on the album (not posted here) was a little over the top for me with the whole abortion and "sweet sixteen and I had to bang her", but that just shows that I'm getting old, can't handle pushing it to the edge and maybe I was never that punk rock to begin with. Overall the whole thing is well worth a listen, my favorite tune was "The Ballad of John List".  Thanx Nazz.

[youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FdPNe5V2kOs]

No comments:

Post a Comment