
The most graphic gif I've run across yet, from the remake of Texas Chainsaw Massacre. When I was at my worst, my darkest days you might say, I too had the gun in my mouth, but I didn't think the 22 I had would do the trick...pussy. Didn't cross my mind at the time that I was shooting heroin every now and then anyway (on top of guzzling 2-3 fifths of vodka 24/7) and could just go out the easy way by overdosing. Ah but then we wouldn't have the Mustard Relics, as quiet as it is round here. Nothing worse than feeling sorry for yourself, but I suppose there's a time and a place for everything. Speaking of suicide, it turns out that the coroner finally figured out that Amy Winehouse died by drinking herself to death (does anybody care about her, I do), thus suicide by addiction (one of a few similarities to Billie Holiday).
Amy Winehouse - Back To Black
Billie Holiday - Don't Explain
Heard this song on the radio and was glad I did...in usual Mustard fashion, I felt the need to do some overkill with the tune. The heartfelt original (we've all been there)...
[youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Rz92JWtS50&w=560&h=315]
The manager at this restaurant that I worked at up in Humboldt after I graduated from college, Casa de Que Pasa (right next to the head shop run by Chet the uber-hippie from Superman's bizzaro world), was really into Chris Isaak. I suppose most of my friends probably can't stand the guy, but I would think there's one thing you can't deny, like Morissey, he's got one hell of a voice (I know I'm foolish)...
Chris Isaak - Solitary Man
And just to piss you off further, how about Mr. Isaak with none other than Stevie Nicks (c'mon, you know there's at least one tune off of Rumors you like)...
Chris Isaak & Stevie Nicks - Solitary Man
LOVE the arrangement on this one, the plucked guitar, the horns and organ, this is a damn good version, granted, if you liked the tune in the first place...
Crooked Fingers - Solitary Man
80's-esque soft metal version, not bad if you like Winger...
HIM - SOLITARY MAN
In my mind this version gives this song all the legitimacy in the world, if THE MAN IN BLACK saw fit to cover it, then it must be good, and as usual Mr. Cash takes it, makes it his own and absolutely always surpasses the original...
Johnny Cash - Solitary Man
Even more legitimacy, a reggae/dancehall cover (hahahaha), I dig it...
Skin Flesh & Bones - Solitary Man Version
This one sounds like Neil Diamond covered by the Mamas and Papas, take it or leave it...
The Deep Six - Solitary Man
I'm not too into the xylophone unless it's used by the Violent Femmes, plus I get the feeling this guy thinks he's Neil Diamond...
Tony Carey - Solitary Man
I like the drums on this one and made me think that the tune would do well in a Tarantino film (a good one to end our little journey on...
Ups and Downs - Solitary Man

How about a taste of the Hitch? It's been a while, we've visited them twice before. I've babbled a little bit about them, mentioned I saw them in Hollywood (now that I think about it, it may have been downtown LA), my connection to two of the band members and most importantly that they fucking rocked. This tune here represents some of their best stuff in my opinion and even though I have a hard time with long songs, this one is captivating from beginning to end. Hard and heavy like John Holmes' schlong. The band on the flipside, Mos Generator is similar in sound, that 70's heavy rock influence taken to an extreme (I guess you'd call it sludge, stoner, or doom, but I think all three tunes are punk as fuck). The second of the two tracks from MG is the better of the two in my opinion, sort of a speedy sludge. Kind of cool that these tracks were recorded in each bands' practice pads and then mixed by Tony of MG. DIY, but the packaging is pro with it's gloss and fold-out-ed-ness. I've seen copies of this out in the intersphere, so if you dig it you might be able to pick one up. Thanx Jeff for sending this to me, so that you mugs could give it a listen...
The Hitch-Tongue In Cheek
Mos Generator-Gus's Boogie
Mos Generator-Rebecca 3
[youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bOaNiSri0aA&w=560&h=315]
No comments:
Post a Comment