
Another talented soul, following the footsteps of his idol, John Belushi...a victim of suicide by addiction.
My son called me a nerd yesterday because I play those "stupid" facebook games (Zombie Lane, Gunshine, Battle Pirates). He said "why don't you get an XBox, the games on there are so much better", I told him I only had only had enough money to get him an XBox...and being the self sacrificing kind of guy I am, was forced to suffer through the substandard graphics and programing, that I could find for free. Actually I have a Playstation 2 with a bunch of games that I've mostly mastered, but I like to multi-task on the computer (playing Battle Pirates as I'm typing this). I think the first video game for your TV was Pong and I had it along with a little black and white TV. Anybody remember that. Kinda sad really because I was an only child and the game required two people. In my early teens it was all about Asteroids, the arcade version, I fuckin owned that game. Got so good I could play it indefinitely, eight hours was my longest stretch on one game and the only reason I quit was that my hands were hurting. There was a self serve car wash down the street from the arcade and you could run up and kick the change machine and quarters would fall out. Easy to get good when you have an unlimited quarter supply. Then some hesher show me how to "rig" the machine by taping thread to the quarter and running it back and forth over the switch in the coin slot, racking up the credits. Good times.
Does anyone think I over use the "..."?
For you SPK fans, if you're serious, you probably already know this and I'm just a noob (as the kids these days say), check out the Dokument 1110 boxset...live shit and the singles. This guy has kindly made it available (the starting bid at Ebay is $175) over at his
Shards of Beauty blog. One of my favorite tunes live...
SPK - Contact

Was reading on the Humboldt Punk page about a woman named Melissa Medina who did a bit of singing for the Hitch...got me curious. Dropped a line to Jefe to see if he had any mp3s of that collaboration. Sure enough he did have this one and only tune, which may be the best cover of that tune ever and sure enough it's done in that H-E-A-V-Y Hitch way (if you haven't heard of the Hitch before it means you're new here or didn't live live in Humboldt County circa late '90s, early '00s...don't sweat it though there's a shit load if you look around).
The Hitch - Come Together


Kinda silly that I'm 300 and some odd posts into this thing and I haven't approached the almighty (ridiculously fractured) Dead Kennedys. Don't really need to chew these guys and spit them out for you, you wouldn't be at a site like this if you hadn't heard of the band. I first heard this single, their 1st, (although this is the second pressing released that same year) in 1979 on the Rodney on the ROQ show. Being a kid who was into 70's hard rock and disco I was blown the fuck away (my Mom was listening too and she thought it was "different"). I think the first vinyl I got with them on it was the Rat Music for Rat People comp. Never got to see the band with Jello (plenty of missed opportunities, that probably involved drinking beer instead), but I did see them in the 90's with Brandon of Dr. Know on vocals (I know no comparison). I was sloppy drunk anyway and spent most of my time on floor in the pit being trampled. Have most, if not all, of their albums, a few of their 7"s, and several comp appearances...enjoy this their first.
California Uber Alles
Man With The Dogs
There may be more demos prior to this 7", but the one I know of is what is called "the 1978 Demo, which I think is several demos (well worth your time if you haven't given those a listen)...
California Uber Alles
Man With The Dogs
[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-CR2rxRMcTE&w=420&h=315]
No comments:
Post a Comment