Sunday, June 17, 2012

Destroy Nate Allen - With Our Powers Combined CD

Another review for ya, this time outta Portland.  Still waiting for the disc to come in the mail for the "official" review but I dig this one enough to get the ball rolling.  This is what they have to say for themselves... Hi. My name's Nate. My wife Tessa and I play in Portland, OR (USA) based interactive, sing-a-long, folk punk duo Destroy Nate Allen. I came across your site via your Underlings post. I was wondering if you would be interested in reviewing our new full length album, With Our Powers Combined, for Mustard Relics? With Our Powers Combined features Gnarboots (Asian Man Records) as our backing band and is a dangerously catchy, high energy doses of honest, theatrical big band rock n' roll guaranteed to leave you full of smiles, excitement and contagious joy. Below is the information about our release: Musical Treats:
Stream / Download / Share the single: "We Talk Occasionally On The Internet"
Full Album Stream (for review only):  With Our Powers Combined
About With Our Powers Combined:
Since 2007, married couple Nate and Tessa Allen joined forces as "Destroy Nate Allen" an interactive, sing-a-long, folk punk band. In these five years, they have set foot in forty-eight states, released six full length albums, and played over 700 shows. Their process has allowed them to do (almost) everything in their power to show people a good time with simply two voices and a guitar.
Destroy Nate Allen decided to try something different for their seventh full length, With Our Powers Combined. They asked Gnarboots (Asian Man Records: former members of Link 80 + Shinobu) to add a full band dose of crazy - and it worked!
With Our Powers Combined features DNA’s fun captured in a whole new and stunning form. The album was fan funded via kickstarter album pre-orders, and was then recorded to 2” tape by Jack Shirley (Comadre) at The Atomic Garden (Classics of Love, Joyce Manor, Broadway Calls).
“We have a blast traveling together and playing rock n’ roll, but we’ve had trouble capturing our live energy so we asked our friends for help,” stated Nate. “We flew to the Bay Area and tracked fifteen songs in three days. We were able bring in a horn section (SKA!!!!) to pull off wild concepts that went beyond the scope of our traditional stripped down approach. We are proud of the album and we can’t wait to show everyone!”
Destroy Nate Allen plan to be on tour the better part of 2012 supporting the release. They’ll probably be in your town soon. You can pre-order the full length on destroynateallen.com. - Jeremiah Hayden & Garrett Potter
Album Cover and Press Photo:
Tour Dates:
Links:
I don't know what else to say Nate's done a good job giving you the lowdown, but being the virtual blabbermouth that I am, just gotta say something.  Punk snottiness is oozing out of every nostril on this one.  Nate's vocals remind me of Gordon Gano of the Violent Femmes, while Tessa's remind me of Alice Bag...quite the duo.  The music is not complex but that doesn't mean it isn't enjoyable, in fact it gives you more aural energy to get down with the comedy you get in the lyrics.  I get the feeling this pair would be a barrel of laughs to hang out with.  Had a tough time picking out just a few for sampling but I'd say these are my faves.  The "hit" is obviously "We Talk Occasionally On The Internet" as it should be.  I love the organ accompaniment, but the lyrics are just perfect.  How many friends do I have that I used to do all kinds of shit with and now the miles that separate limit contact to the phone or the internet.  Or many are out there that I consider friends but all we've ever done is communicate through the internet.   Anyway, give this a listen, see if you can pick it up and check the tour dates to see if maybe you can't see these two live. Chick Flick We Talk Occassionally On The Internet I Need To Know

 

No comments:

Post a Comment