
A movie I meant to see but haven't (to see SLJ ploy his craft or maybe just to see Christina Ricci scantily clad)...
My old bro Shawn took up where a previous post stepped off and kicked down with some more crucial "Paint It Black" covers...
The Unseen - Paint It Black
Anti Nowhere League - Paint It Black
Another very cool cover by a band I might make half the topic of a post at some point, courtesey of Shawn as well (do you remember the orignal,)...
wesley willis fiasco - girls on film
My friend Mindi from junior high was big time into Duran Duran as so many girls my age back then were in the mid 80s. Must have been around 85 because I had my license, she asked if I would escort her to go see them as they were signing autographs at Licorice Pizza somewhere in the valley (Van Nuys?). So we go there several hours early with me in my self imposed punk rockness and there are already hundreds of mostly teenage girls there. We wait for probably 3 hours and by that time there is probably 1000 people and we are packed like sardines on the sidewalk. It was suffocatingly uncomfortable, but anything for a friend right. The band has supposedly arrived and the throng is apparently inching in the direction of the store. All of a sudden Mindi says "we gotta get outta here, I can't breath". Sure as shit she looks like hell, but I ask her "are you sure", I mean we've been waiting for hours and the band's here now. She says that she's gotta get outta there, so I shove my way through the horde and make a path to daylight. So in my life filled with woulda, coulda, shoulda...I almost got to meet Duran Duran ( a few years earlier at the same store I got to meet Motorhead, but I think I've shared that before).

A Rudimentary Peni trucker's hat I saw on ebay...you know you want one. I have that image tattooed inside my bicep and now it's in this form. I hope at least the band is getting royalties off this abomination. Speaking of punk rock being bought and sold out, ran across this very early Clash (their first?) demo from Polydor Studios, London, December 1976, that I thought I'd share...great stuff
Career Opportunities
White Riot
Janie Jones
London's Burning
1977

Speaking of that early style of snotty punk rock-ness, got this little gem no too long ago. There is this one seller on ebay (obviously a record store owner from the western New York area) that sells a variety of 7"ers, the starting bids are always $.50, and he combines dirt cheap shipping. I pick up probably around 20 records a month from him and in general I limit myself to $3 bucks for each record. I figure unless something is highly collectible or you've heard of it/must have it, 3 bucks is what a mystery buy is worth. Got this one for $.50 so I figure I scored even if it sucked. This does not suck though. Released 20 years after that Clash demo and it's got that same raw punky enthusiasm. This trio from Rochester, NY has some well written, catchy tunes with a rough edge to 'em....pogo-able.
Soul Crusher
On My Mind (Like An Aneurysm)

More of the same here, I think this one (1994) came before the one up there (1995).
Who Cares?
You Better Learn To Like It
...searched high and low for more downloadable stuff from these guys (this is their first 7" of two others and an LP...the band was very short lived actually) but came up with very little I think these are all from the LP, more good stuff...
She's Better Dead
Skeleton Boy
Your Skull
No comments:
Post a Comment