
Got this tape in the mail a while back, before the hiatus, and to be honest was stoked to be getting something in cassette format, after so long. I'll be damned too, these guys turned out to be pretty fucking good (but I already knew that because they had sent me a link to the tunes sometime before I got the tape). Here's what they had to say...
We are Dead//Beat, hardcore punk from Brooklyn. We've recently finished recording and producing our latest EP "Tremors" and seeing as how we are big fans of Mustard Relics we thought we'd send it to you in hopes that you might be interested...
Thanks a lot -DEAD//BEAT
Short and sweet, kinda letting the music speak for themselves...speak it does. They are a self described hardcore band but I think it's a little more complicated than that. First off, I kind of subscribe to the idea that has been suggested by some musical historian types that as a musical movement hardcore died in about 1986...it was taken over by jock rockers (just an opinion of course). That doesn't make music created in that style, after that point, any less valid, valuable or enjoyable. Anything but. In fact bands like DEAD//BEAT are like a breath of fresh air, not entangled with dogmatic genre definitions. Along those lines, for the sake of having someplace to file them, I have loosely put them in the post-hardcore category. Loosely and I mean it, because as I said earlier it's a little more complicated than that. These guys are not flying a million miles an hour, but that doesn't make them any less intense...punk as fuck, snottier than my Grandpa's handkerchief and I love that the guitar player gets some cool sounds without leaning to much on the distortion. Overall this is a kick ass cassette (still up in the air about the X cover). Pick this up or at least give them a listen at their
Bandcamp. For now here's two of my faves...
Disrespect
Configured
No comments:
Post a Comment