

Another one from Freddy over at his killer
Wardance Records, this one more on a metal tip. First thing you notice about any record is the sleeve and this one is cool as all get out. It makes sense on the splits when each band gets a side to personalize their artwork, and both these sides capture the bands in an intensely eye catching way. Freddy's releases that I have been exposed to are all sharp. The description on the Wardance page reads, "Oxido: Legendary 80's Peruvian Metal band, 1st. time on vinyl. Don Juan Matus: Current heavy Psych/Doom project from Peru HC & Metal scene veterans. Split release with Basilica Records, 300 copies pressed." Both bands are out of Peru and both bands could loosely be termed metal but that's where the similarity ends. I don't have a favorite, because these bands are not in the same genre and I'd have to favor one genre over another...and I don't. In 1984, when Oxido was in their heyday, I was listening to hardcore and punk, but I was most decidedly labelled a metalhead stoner. The crowd I hung out with, myself included, smoked weed, had long hair, wore those woven hoodies from Mexico and listened to bands like Black Sabbath, Saint Vitus, Slayer, Venom and Motorhead. Both these bands could have easily been spinning on my turntable back then and they take me back to that glorious time. Freddy writes up a nice history of Oxido and does an informative interview over at his place,
Quixotic Dreams, a great read. As far as Oxido, this is my first exposure to the band and probably yours too, but these guys rock in that NWOBHM and proto-thrash/speed kind of style. Hardcore early 80's all the way, and I don't know what it is, but it reminds me a little bit of what I think was going on with metal in Japan at the time (don't ask me why, I have no evidence to back that up). Good chunky riffing with a hook of a chorus, a little bit of noodling and soulful singing. Don Juan Matus on the other hand are that modern stoner doom thing going on that's gotten pretty big these days. Heavy, dirgy and a vocalist that reminds me a little bit of the guy from Sound Garden (and that's a good thing in my book...c'mon the early stuff was good). If I still smoked weed this would go great with a big bong hit of the kind sticky crystaly red haired green (or the compressed seedy stemy dirty brown if you are on a low budget), but mind alteration is most certainly not necessary to enjoy the vibe these guys lay on you. Ever seen the animated flick Heavy Metal (an absolute must if you haven't and I might even call you lame if you didn't)? Both these tunes could easily be on that soundtrack and I absolutely worship that flick so that's a huge compliment. If you are a fan of metal of any kind, do yourself a favor and go out and get thing from
HERE. For now I have some minute long samples I ripped for your listening pleasure.
Don Juan Matus-Kadath (sample)
Oxido-El Angel de la Muerte (sample)
No comments:
Post a Comment