Saturday, November 3, 2012

Johatsu - Demolition cassette

Johatsu1Had to hook up my tape deck to give this one a listen, another killer release from Freddy over at Wardance Records.  I don't even know where to start with Johatsu.  I got the lowdown from Freddy, "...that tape rules, for now it's a 2 man project by ex-Hell No dudes. They're working on new material & hopefully a full band soon. I'm biased, but I think that the songs in the tape are great, u can tell they grew up on HC/Punk/90's dissonant stuff & mesh it all together really well. I took it off the Wardance page as I only have a couple of copies left, but the band should have some." Over at United By Rocket Science they'll tell you "think New York Hardcore meets Amphetamine Reptile Records and gets stuck in the mud on the way to a Metal show.  The sound is heavy, ferocious and relentless." I don't know if I could describe these guys any better than that.  Not sure if it's because it's on cassette or the mix, but it has that demo sound, which makes it feel a lot older, but this is fresh and relevant.  Often times you can describe a band by saying that they sound like this or that band, which I'm terrible at, because my mind has trouble assigning a particular sound to a name, but who the fuck do these guys sound like...no one as far as I'm concerned.  With one guy doing vocals and the other doing all the instruments, it reminds me of some good times I had recording stuff with one of my buddies who could play all the instruments in your typical band.  Don't think these guys are just fucking around though, this is a band that will make people stand up and recognize.  Like a lot of bands these days Johatsu has a Bandcamp where you can give all the tunes a listen and for dirt cheap buy a download of the tunes and maybe pick up an actual copy.  There's two more tunes available for download on Bandcamp, that aren't on the cassette.  They also have a Myspace in case you want to do a little more exploring.  If you're of the European persuasion and location, you can also pick this thing up from Per Koro Records, a label/mailorder outta Germany.  I prefer side 1 over side 2, I guess because side 2 feels more like a jam, but really the cassette grabs you by the balls from beginning to end.  Hands down my favorite is the first tune (and a lot of times the band puts their best track first, so maybe the band is in agreement with me), I really like how the singer almost talks or narrates over some furious riffing.  If you can find this thing, go get your tape deck out of the garage or go get one at the thrift store (may as well, I think tapes are making a small underground comeback), and trip the hell out on Johatsu.  That first tune for ya... [bandcamp width=100% height=120 album=2918916784 size=large bgcol=ffffff linkcol=0687f5 tracklist=false artwork=small]

No comments:

Post a Comment