Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Lead Belly - Where Did You Sleep Last Night?

Back in the late 80's, early 90's when I was in college, Nirvana came on the scene, but I never gave them a chance. Everybody was into them, and at the time, that was reason enough for me not to be. I don't think I actually ever listened to them, which is a shitty way not to groove to a band. There were relatively few bands from the so called Grunge scene that I would listen to, The Melvins (arguably not Grunge), Babes In Toyland, Soundgarden and L7 being some prime examples of exceptions. Later (I can't remember if it was after Cobain offed himself or not) a buddy of mine made me a tape of their MTV Unplugged set, and I was kind of blown away (listening to it as I'm typing). It's an intensely heartfelt performance, although they are all light-hearted and joking, musically it's some heavy stuff.. The songs tend to be glum, and I've always been sort of a glum person myself, so they hit a sweet spot...really good listening when you've got girl problems. I have since gone on to appreciate the other Nirvana releases, but this Unplugged thing has a lot of things going for it. Pat Smear! Kurt, introduces him as being a part of the band for the first time. Poor Pat, second band he's been in, where the singer has killed himself. Cello! My favorite of the orchestral instruments (bassoon comes a close second). Who needs a bass player when you've got the haunting bottom end of a cello. The covers! The original Nirvana tunes are over the top, but it tells you a lot about a band, what songs they cover. Vaselines, Bowie, Meat Puppets (they even get the brothers to help play those tunes) and they saved the best for last, Lead Belly. That last tune is just incredible, "Where Did You Sleep Last Night" I think that Lead Belly would have appreciated the Nirvana version...but of course nothing can beat the power and the glory of the original...

[youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6yCEsDsGx4]

No comments:

Post a Comment