Sunday, September 1, 2013

The Collection - Charlie Clouser composer

LaborWith Labor Day around the corner (tomorrow), I find my self reflecting on the 30 years I've been selling my time for a paycheck. It doesn't seem that long, but I still haven't made my first million. In order to have done that, I'd have had to have made $33,333 a year for those 30 years, but even working now at my best paying job, I don't gross that much a year. According to the common train of thought I must not have been working hard enough, because hard work = wealth, right? Hahahaha. Got my first job with an actual pay check (before that all I ever did was mow my Grandpa's lawn when we came to visit), at 14, for sub minimum wage, cleaning cages at a bird store. Nothing like going into an aviary and getting pooped on while I cleaned up the poop. Stepped it up in high school and worked at Taco Bell for $3.35 an hour. Quit that job after the manager and this guy I knew, were executed during a robbery at another Taco Bell that I had worked at when I was training. Just not enough money to risk my life. My Aunt then got me a job at a law firm (one that represented insurance companies, trying to negotiate down settlements) as a file clerk. My brush with the white collar world and coked out lawyers. In college my first job was as a housekeeper cleaning dorm rooms during the summer. Damn college students, trashed the hell out of their rooms. Worked two jobs there for a while as I made/delivered pizzas at Blue Max Pizza for a year. The best tips were when you would get bud. Got probably the best job you can get as a college student (a state job), as they work around your class schedule, doing grounds keeping around the dorms (really liked my old Vietnam Vet boss). Graduated from college and worked at my favorite place to drink Casa de que Pasa, doing the register and prep (I made damn good guacamole). Worked then for Lindquist Landscape doing construction, mostly digging ditches, shoveling rock and hauling concrete in wheel barrows, we'd go fishing on rainy days. Moved to San Diego and relied on my skills (fuck my college education right) and got a job working for Banister Landscape, my first job being charge, maintenance foreman. A brush with trickle down economics as we maintained mansions...rich people hire poor people to take care of their shit.  Off to the Hanalei Hotel, still in charge, as the lead grounds keeper. The boss took us out every Friday to get drunk. Not enough money there, so off to the best you can do as a grounds keeper, a city job (in Lemon Grove) on the grounds crew. Learned a lot there, but drinking killed that job for me, so I started my own company, Hrabe & Son Landscaping. Got my truck stolen with all my tools in it, ending my venture as a self made man. Mark Banister was kind enough to hire me again, despite my heavy drinking, but eventually his benevolence was tested. Nothing left to do but to move away to Kansas, to try to escape my drinking. Ever so slightly less of a drunk (but still a drunk never the less) hit a new low as a powerwasher at a factory farm, Husky Hogs, all the pig shit and maggots a guy could handle. Off to my first job using my degree, substitute teaching at local schools (remember how you treated your subs in school). After a year, decide that I wasn't getting enough days there so got a job working with developmentally disabled adults, as a para professional under a teacher. Got Sober. Move up to Employment Specialist (job coach), getting the same population jobs. Moved up again in the company (a non profit subsidized by the State of Kansas) to where I am today, a Individual Service Coordinator (social worker) for the same population. I'm not the hardest worker in the world (my hero days are over), but I do my part. Happy Labor Day folks! The-CollectionThe wife and I loved the first one but they really outdid themselves with The Collection. Everything I know and love in a horror film, seriously sinister villain and a pissed off hero, gore galore and edge of your seat fear. We went ahead and bought it, something we don't do too often because of our pathetic financial situation (not crying though as in this day and age there are folks who have it much worse, after all I do have a computer with internet service), but we found it used even though it was a newer release. During the course of watching and enjoying the flick, I was digging the soundtrack but I was really trippin on the score. Got a wild hair the other day and decide to look into the movie and learn something about the music.  Apparently there was no official release of a sound track, I did find the songs listed in the credits, so the brain got working again (it's hard).  Sure enough all the songs from the movie are on Youtube, but rather than post 7 videos, I used the JDownloader to extract the tunes (albeit at a crappy bit rate, so if you dig any of the tunes, hunt down the original releases by the bands and pleasure yourself at a high bit rate). Bound to get some objection to posting these tunes, but here's the soundtrack of sorts... Robosoul - Monsterbot Bryan Lee Brown & Paul Fig - Marauder Erode KAUF - When You're Out Porcelain Raft - Talk To Me Bryan Lee Brown & Paul Fig -The Collection End Title The Pack a.d. - Haunt You Patient 113 - Awake to You I like all those tunes, but really what I was after was the score for the movie. Turns out it was composed by a guy named Charlie Clouser, who I guess had been in Nine Inch Nails for a while (I've never knowingly listened to a NIN song, for no other reason than fate has not led me there, but I've heard lots of negative stuff...Edit: turns out I have heard/posted them, Nine Inch Nails - Cars (with Gary Numan, London 7.15.09), but that was after Mr. Clouser was in the band). So a kid (judging from his avatar/photo) who goes by the call name iamskywalkerr on Soundcloud has done the world a service and finished off my soundtrack list with a Charlie Clouser track, the "Main Titles"...

[soundcloud url="http://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/84967329" params="" width="100%" height="166" iframe="true" /]

And then Mr. skywalker took it to the next level and has the score for download at Mediafire. This is the first score in my collection, digital or otherwise, and the first one I have sat down and listened to from beginning to end without watching the movie...VERY digable. Do yourself a favor and go watch the flick.

No comments:

Post a Comment