Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Lonesome Wyatt And The Holy Spooks - Halloween Is Here 10" / CD

LWHS_halloweenishere_coverAround my house the Wife makes sure we are properly seasonal. Come mid-September, by the time of the autumnal equinox, the house is splashed with orange and browns, even before you see those colors outside. But when we hit October it's on like donkey kong...pumpkins, scarecrows, spiders, skeletons...Halloween is our holiday. So imagine me, a snickering jackal, when our old friend Lonesome, of Lonesome Wyatt And The Holy Spooks, told me they had released a Halloween album. I could pretty much say, "I was DEFINITELY not disappointed", and that would summarize everything else I have to say. Here's was my response, "damn Lonesome, I fucking love it. How the hell do you guys come up with this stuff, the creative juices must just ooze out of your pores. The wife and I are big time Halloween people, both spiritually and commercially, so this is right up my alley (gonna have to play it off and on for the rest of the month and then of course that night)." In their usual cryptic and enigmatic way, this was all they had to say, "Halloween Is Here" is a terrifying tribute to all those strange and obscure Halloween albums from the 1950s to the 1980s. It contains twelve spooky stories and monstrous sing-a-longs for your unholy holiday party at the local insane asylum." So here we have LW&HS rearing their ugly little heads again, with a theme that just fits perfectly into their creative aura. As their description says you get these stories reminiscent of those kids Halloween records that I used to listen to in the 70's, only these are much more descriptively gruesome, taking the theme to the next level. The sing-a-logs are like wise gruesome, but they are super catchy. You have these black metal bands that almost sound silly in their dramatic attempts to sound evil but LW&HS really are evil, tormenting you with smiles on their faces. They toy with you, playfully like a child pouring salt on a slug, a soundtrack to that same child pulling the wings off a fly. Behind it all you have just damn good music, created by a genius. On any given day Lonesome has more creativity in his pinky nail than most people have had in their entire miserable lives. I've tried to ween more information out of these guys, but they lurk in the shadows, someone did what I should have requested and did an interview. LW&HS have a Facebook, a Last FM, a Myspace, and of course their WEBSITE. Unfortunately the vinyl is sold the fuck out (would have really liked to have gotten my greedy little hands on one of those, put it on my "want list" on Discogs), but you can still get the CD or digital download HERE. Here's a monstrous sing-a-long... [youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gdKJbDmKDFs&w=790&h=695]

No comments:

Post a Comment