
All kinds of interesting characters I've gotten to know (sort a...as well as you can in a virtual world...see the movie
Gamer for further reference) over the years of doing this thing. I'm in awe, especially, of those gifted souls out there, who, on a daily basis, are churning out creativity (sowing seeds and reaping a harvest, you might say, if you were biblically inclined). It's just fucking incredible how they make use of their talents. One such character is Lonesome Wyatt. In his
Ghost Ballads we heard his musical side, "Haunting was the first word that came to mind, shortly followed by the word creepy. The songs are simple yet complex in their simplicity, they’re like sinister lullaby’s." Then, just in time for Halloween this year we heard a combination of his music and storytelling in the
Halloween Is Here LP (which I desperately want on vinyl), "you get these stories reminiscent of those kids Halloween records that I used to listen to in the 70's, only these are much more descriptively gruesome, taking the theme to the next level. The sing-a-logs are like wise gruesome, but they are super catchy." Lonesome has also written a book called
The Terrible Tale of Edgar Switchblade and it only makes sense that he would put that story to vinyl. Well,
The Strange Adventures of Edgar Switchblade #1: Krampus Unmerciful 7" went into pre-order on an ominous Tuesday, and the 300 copies were sold the fuck out before the end of that fateful day (another record I desperately want). Not to fear though, the digital copies will be released on December 3rd. Here's as much as I could glean from old Lonesome, "Join Edgar Switchblade and Old Red in their first audio adventure as they team up with the legendary Yuletide monster, Krampus. Hear them torture and punish the wicked ones on a dark and stinking Christmas Eve." I of course was blessed, or cursed, as it may be, as a humble reviewer, to get the digital copy, in advance, and sure as shit, I was humbled. I'm too young to have lived in the hey day of radio, before television, when stories would be told to captivate and mystify. Lonesome, a master of the written/spoken word, mixes that with dramatic narration and terribly appropriate sound effects. You can almost imagine Mom, Dad and the kids, on a nice pleasant evening, sitting around the radio in anticipation. As Lonesome's story unfolds, that anticipation is replaced with horror. Sinister, malevolent, perverse, dire, malignant. He has taken a lost art and pushed it up a menacing notch. His words sing the song of Edgar Switchblade, the anti-hero, on his adventures with the anti-angel Krampus in an anti-world filled with anti-people. Just about every character "spits poisonous bile" in this thing. I don't want to give too much away, so do yourself a favor and hit up the
Tribulation Recording Co. on December 3rd or better yet, be heinously proactive and get
The Terrible Tale of Edgar Switchblade book.
No comments:
Post a Comment