
God I am so behind on these reviews, finally getting around to this one, a gift from my buddy Freddy a month or so ago (you want to make this old burn out happy, send me a record). This is one of those punk rock archeology things, something that would have been just a memory to a very few, had it not been for some benevolent soul. New, old you might say. The time is 1987, the place is Peru, the band is
Lvxvria (as it is spelled on the 7", I've also seen it spelled "Lujuria" and "Luxuria"). I asked Freddy to give me his take on this here thing as there is zippo on the internet, "About Lvxvria: they're one of the original "Rock Subterraneo" bands from Lima, Peru circa '85-'87. That movement comprised raw HC bands like Ataque Frontal, Narcosis, Descontrol plus punk bands like Leuzemia, Zcuela Zerrada. There's not much in English about Lvxvria, they were a 3 piece with guitar, drums & vocals, no bass. Not necessarily by choice but more to a lack of resources in those days. The 5 songs on the 7" are taken from a 12 song demo they did in '87. Maybe if this record gets a good response, they'll be able to release the rest of the songs. To me, their songs have always had a melancholic & resigned yet hopeful air about them. The lyrics & sound reflecting the dark political & economic times in Peru during those years as well as the gloomy atmosphere that pervades Lima during the long rainy season & greatly affects the national character." In other words this thing is a BADASS piece of wax! A little slice of history that sounds so old, partially due to the raw recording, but is so fresh today. This is South American Punk Rock at it's finest. I don't even know how to categorize it, suppose if I knew more about this subterranean rock phenomena, that would help. It's punk as fuck, I know that, nobody told the Peruvians that punk was dead, this thing is alive and kicking. Real basic stuff as you might suspect with just a guitarist doing bar chords and a drummer with simple beats and fills. The singer is very passionate in that Joy Division kind of way, I wish my Spanish was a little better. Despite the raw simplicity, hidden in some of these songs are these neat little melodies that these guys bounce off each other. You can get this bad boy from Freddy's
Wardance Records distro for dirt cheap (really you should have that page saved in your favorites anyway). All the songs are hits, so for your listening/sampling pleasure, here's the first tune...
"El Reflejo"
[audio mp3="http://mustard-relics.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/Luxuria-01-El-Reflejo.mp3"][/audio]
Those five tunes weren't enough for me, so I went on a search (part of the reason this took so long to post up), but as I said there is minimal web presence. You can find most of the tunes from this 7" on youtube, you know, just audio with a graphic, but I did manage to find a live vid that will take you out of whatever box you're in and do some educating in the phenomena of a different culture's take on familiar music...
[youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q71LszJmoss]
Of course that still wasn't enough, damn it I wanted the whole 12 song demo. Alas, it was up at some blog, but the links were long since dead. I found the next best thing in the form of a short live set, along with two other bands,
this vid of a show recorded in 1986 at a place called La Cabana, I'm assuming in Peru. It was a great find, but I figured what heck, I'll rip and edit that into tracks. Oddly enough they play a little slower on this live stuff than they do on the demo, most bands it's the other way around. This is a killer little set though and if after your done listening to those, you don't hit up Freddy, then I can't help you...
No lo Hare
S.M.O.
Cachacos a la Guerra
Destruire
Arroz con Leche
Terror
No comments:
Post a Comment