
Not sure how I know Jamie LaRose (as I've mentioned my memory is terrible...my brain holds memories like a colander holds water), but somehow she is one of my "friends" on Facebook. She resides in Portland, and I've got a few peeps there, involved in music, one way or another, so that may be the connection. This site is proof positive, I am a staunch music lover, so my interest peaked when I found out that Jamie was in a band. Not only is she in a band, but she fronts an out of this world, killer band.

Once I got a chance to hear them, I was instantly a follower. If you took the above band photo at face value, you might guess they were a stoner/doom type of outfit, but they're deeper than that. Listening to their songs, there's variety, like there is in a deck of Tarot cards. They can do stoner and doom, but they can also do the precisest of progressive rock, Sabbath-y psychedelic heaviness, chugging early 80's thrash and I hope I'm not stretching it too much, but there's even some European folk metal that almost delves into raw black metal. Every song is different, not a moment of repetition to be found. What is common throughout though is Jamie's otherworldly siren-like vocals, a guitar player that has honed his skills to razor-sharpness, a bass player whose sound weighs a septic ton, and holding it all together is a drummer that would make Bill Ward proud. Underneath it all, as it should be under the general umbrella of rock and roll, Satyress really know how to play, to be, the blues. They're releasing their debut album, Dark Fortunes, on April 18th, that's one fucking week from today people. If you don't believe me and the humbleness (yet serious as a fucking heart attack) that is Mustard Relics, go check out heavy hitters in the review world like
The Obelisk,
Terrorizer and
Decibel Magazine (where you can stream all their songs). They're releasing their debut album, Dark Fortunes, on April 18th, that's one fucking week from today people...500 copies on vinyl. If you're interested you can pre-order the vinyle or get the digital at their
Bandcamp or you can socialize with them on
Facebook and catch up on current goings on. Here's a couple streaming for ya...the hit is "Soma" in my opinion, but every single one of their songs is well worth a listen...
"Esta Noche"
[audio mp3="http://mustard-relics.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/Satyress-Esta-Noche.mp3"][/audio]
"Soma"
[audio mp3="http://mustard-relics.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/Satyress-Soma.mp3"][/audio]
No comments:
Post a Comment