
Still playing catch up on these reviews, but there is just so much good listening to be found out there and I'll be damned if it isn't seeking me out these days. Some of the "bands" are more underground than others, there was a time when if it wasn't strictly DIY, I would scoff at it. While I still admire anything on the grass roots level, I'm realistic enough to know that a guy has to make a buck and it's tough to do that being a musician. I still stand my ground though on the importance of music having some kind of edge, I don't have time for butter knives. It's easy to tell the difference between real honest to goodness inspiration and shit that's been watered down for the masses. It's like diet soda, the chemicals that are in that crap will kill you, give me a couple ounces of pure sugar in my soda. This latest band,
Ever So Android ain't no diet pop. This duo is alive and on fire, a fricken bonfire of sound. Here's part of their bio/press thing, "Ever So Android has released their new stand alone single "Leash" at the height of their 9 city tour. True to form, the song features their signature electro-rock sound that combines deep bass synths with a driving rock beat and soaring vocals. Consisting of guitarist Drew Murray and power vocalist Hope Simpson, this two piece rock outfit has a sound that is both powerful and creative. "Leash" will be featured on their yet to be announced EP, coming later this year and will be featured on this current tour."

Well my review missed the tour, but I hope it was a happy and successful adventure for them. If the vid at the bottom of this post is any kind of indication of how hard they rock live, I'm sure it went spectacularly well. It takes two pretty dynamic individuals to create this volume of sound. I was trying to find another female front woman to compare Hope to, but my ability to make those kinds of comparisons is limited. She's got one hell of a voice, that's the bottom line. A modern example of one of those Joan Jett or Suzi Quatro kind of rockers, with a little bit of Blondie thrown in to make it interesting, but she doesn't sound anything like them at. Is there that cabaret-esque kind of Amy Winehouse thing going on...I don't know. There is this sultry kind of moaning throughout that just fuels that bonfire. Speaking of bonfire, Drew really lights up the sky with his riffing. He's a one man band of sorts. In the live vid you catch a glimpse of the effects panel he has at his disposal, and judging from the variety of sounds he gets out of his guitar, he makes full use of it. It's almost like he has several instruments at his disposal. His melodies have this aggressive structure, without being in your face and annoying. Very digable stuff out of Seattle. I bet if they wanted to they could put on an outstanding acoustic set, wonder if they do that. I asked the band what makes Ever So Android tick, what message are they trying to convey and where are they headed?
1) experimentation. Pushing ourselves musically and personally. Always striving to be uncomfortable so that we can evolve.
2) on some level female empowerment. .. But generally human empowerment. Get people to get out of their boxes and live their life before it's too late.
3) High dive in Seattle may 9 th. We're touring the southwest again in August.
Sounds like they're going to continue to be busy (bet they don' play NoWhere Kansas) maybe a guy could get a chance to spend an evening with them. Be sure to check out their
website and give a tune or two a listen...
"Leash"
http://bandcamp.com/EmbeddedPlayer/track=2192733652/size=large/bgcol=ffffff/linkcol=0687f5/tracklist=false/artwork=small/transparent=true/
S/T
http://bandcamp.com/EmbeddedPlayer/album=1829458973/size=large/bgcol=ffffff/linkcol=0687f5/tracklist=false/artwork=small/transparent=true/
[youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H15tNe5Zdyk]
No comments:
Post a Comment