
Before the days of the internet, it was mostly by word of mouth that you got turned on to new music. It felt sort of like that when Karstein Volle dropped me a lime and asked me to give his band a listen. Listen, I did to his band
DAD and I gotta say that it took me back to those pre-internet days when I would be amazed and thankful at the same time, some kind of fateful discovery. This is one of the feel good moments when a band hits the spot like a quality meal, a feeling of satisfaction. These guys have a unique spin, a take that is new to me, one that makes total sense. Here's the blurb that I got from their
Soundcloud bio... "Dad plays punkrock in the Flipper/Hüsker Dü/DK style. The subject matter is sleep deprivation, diapers and all other dementia that follows the miracle of procreation. Anyone saying punk rock is a young person´s game is either lying or a goddamn fool. Punkrock is at best geezer culture and Dad is here to prove it. Punkrock should be honest. Punkrock should be direct. That´s why we´re not gonna pretend we´re young delinquents being hassled by the man. Fuck that. We´re suburban parents in our late 30s. We got IKEA furniture, dammit. We OWN our mediocrity and unhipness and we´ll make good use of it. We´re here to rescue the reputation of so called dad-rock with DAD-PUNKROCK. Dad is not pleased with you. Dad thinks your pathetic attempts at coolness are silly and sad. Dad will mess you up. Dad knows best."

Dad is:
Heikki, drums
Lasse, bass
Karstein, guitar + vox
One of the best bios I've run across. This is a fun band, honest, no contrived attempt to sound like something old, but reminiscent of those bands that could play hard with a smile on their faces. No macho posturing, not in Helsinki Finland, they choose to have fun instead. I asked Karstein to give me his person take on what was going with this DAD thing, "There's quite a healthy punk scene here in Helsinki. There's old hc classics like Terveet Kädet still touring and excellent newcomers like Kovaa Rasvaa, Hopejärvi n us geezers in Dad. With us, I still think the old 'three chords and the truth'-credo applies. We just face different things nowadays. Being a dad is HARD. If you act upon your frustrations, anger and obvious shortcomings bringing up kids, you would become a monster. So suck it up and count to ten million. That's where punkrock comes in. It's the safety valve with a safety pin on it :) At the moment, we've just self released a cassette, while polishing new recordings. Hoping to get an EP out by the end of the year and even a flexi before that. The best way to support us nowadays is to drop us a line and order the tape and the very attractive cloth patch we made. We've just been around since April last year, so we're still working on things." They have a
Soundcloud and a
Facebook that you can contact them at. Every single solitary song I listened to from these guys is pure gold of the uber catchiest kind. This is the kind of stuff that upon first listen, will become instantly implanted on your brain and before you know it, you'll be singing the songs to yourself. Give em a spin, here's one of my favorites...
MY KID´S FRIEND´S DAD
[audio mp3="http://mustard-relics.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/My-Kid´s-Friend´s-Dad_115698587-Listentodad.mp3"][/audio]
My kid has a friend
That kid has a dad.
I´m spending time with my kid.
That kid spending time with his dad.
Agh.
Shut up about your car!
Shut up about Somalis!
Shut up about hunting!
Shut up about your tax!
Of course I´m
I´m polite.
That kid is a friend of my kid.
So I, I shut up.
I wish you could do the same.
Ack! Ack! Ack!
Shut up about your car!
Shut up about Somalis!
Shut up about hunting!
Shut up about your tax!
Shut up about political correctness!
Shut up about fishing!
Shut! Up!
SHUT! UP!
SHUT! UP!
SHUT! UP! Shaddup!
[soundcloud url="https://api.soundcloud.com/users/44018732" params="color=ff5500&auto_play=false&hide_related=false&show_artwork=true&show_comments=true&show_user=true&show_reposts=false" width="100%" height="450" iframe="true" /]
[youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ZN3vdyR0H0]
No comments:
Post a Comment