You know until I got the turntable I had completely forgotten about this record. Four bands all from Humboldt. I don't really remember Underhand or Couch but they may have just been getting started as I was getting out. The other two bands, One Man Running and Grout (without me in the band, I left earlier that year) are two of my favorites from that time and place, I've already mentioned them in other posts. Grout's recording of McKinleyville is the best I've ever heard, fast, but still has that country punk feel to it.
EDIT: Uploaded this to youtube, as will be my habit now, 'specially with the old Humboldt punk-ish stuff. Listening to this again, after Lil' Jimmy hooked me up with some old long lost gems (have the 7" but my rips are gone to cyber nowhere), I think this is a nice sampling of some of the bands happening in the first half of the 90's. These here are also folks that were part of the scene at that time, in Arcata and Eureka band members were also show goers, supporting local and passing through type bands. Bands were very supported each other pretty well, and as time passed bands would come and go, but the musicians were incestuous and would just end up playing with other people who had been in other bands. Also listening to it again, I got to appreciate Underhand and Couch a bit more, very typical Humboldt vibe in two very different bands...
[youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lqdsIsqQidI&w=560&h=315]
No comments:
Post a Comment