Monday, June 2, 2008

Cheech And Chong

ps1 ps2 All that's left is to pick up the debris and take them to the burn pit, unless someone wants some free firewood.

This post is for The Pope and Erich.  Cheech and Chong don't get along these days either.  Happy June yall, time to turn on the air conditioner, ha ha ha.

Cheech And Chong I was a big time fan of these guys from a very young age and still am.  I was probably too young to be listening to their albums or watching their movies, but I knew what was up.  The 70's were an odd time being stuck between the 60's and 80's.  It seemed like everybody was doing dope of some kind at that time and in my neighborhood a lot of vatos looked like Cheech.  Hollywood was filled with guys that looked like Chong.  Today people would probably say these guys encouraged or at least condoned drug use, but I always felt what they were doing was total satire based on reality.  They may have been dopers but even dopers have the ability to laugh at themselves and it's not until you leave that kind of lifestyle that you see how truly ridiculous it all is.  By the same token if you haven't been there you have no reason talking about it.  These guys were really unto themselves back then and I really have no one to compare them to from this time period.  Maybe Richard Prior or George Carlin in a sort of way.  In their movies, Rock and Roll High School or Spinal Tap?  This 7" was released in 1974 and I apologize because the B-side, which is a short comedy skit with the same title, was too scratched up to play without running the risk of ruining my needle.  This is early punk rock in my opinion and that's the direction they went with it in the movie Up In Smoke made in 1978, about the time I got into these guys.  I read this interview with Chong here, http://www.hobotrashcan.com/interviews/tommychong.php , but I don't know what to make of him.  Is he a laid back hippy type, is he a little slow or is he just burned out.  I'm kind of leaning towards laid back and cool.  If you dug Cheech and Chong give me a shout out because I don't think I'm alone in being a fan of these guys. EDIT: Links deleted for fear of copyright police…go give your money to iTunes or something…

No comments:

Post a Comment