Monday, December 22, 2008

Tyrannosaurus Rex - Peel Sessions

Cold as a... (insert appropriate metaphor or simile here).  I know, not as cold as other places visitors may come from, but with the wind chill it is plenty cold enough for me.  Still staying in the old house until the 1st and we're limping along on barely any propane until tomorrow when the guy comes to fill up.  So although there is some relief coming in from the cold it seems like it is just to get out of the wind into a somewhat milder coldness.  Tough weekend all the way around, the stuff country songs are made of.  The power steering pump is leaking on my truck and the auto parts store wasn't open, the hoses and faucets were frozen so I had to use buckets to get the horses water and one of my dogs disappeared for 24 hours only to be found with another man in his truck.  Getting everything sorted out though, feeling like I need to spread the joy of music and wish everyone a good holiday.

marc_mickey As you guys know I've been playing with other sources of music, so I thought I would check out something I had heard of, but never actually heard.  Expect these now and again.  Tyrannosaurus Rex or T. Rex as they came to be called were a total mystery to me and in fact I thought it refered to a person who played music and not a band.  If they're music has been played for me, I don't remember it, but I do remember being told they were influential.  Rather than go to one of my fellow bloggers for info and music, I decided to have a go of it alone, so I could do my own post.  I found something sufficiently rare and not officially released in a torrrent and then went to my usual reference here, http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=T.Rex_(band)&oldid=258506543 .  I'm not going to regurgitate all of that but I will say it was a very interesting article and by all accounts an important band.  The orignal duo were Marc Bolan and Steve Peregrin Took and you can find more stuff about them here, http://www.marcbolan.net/  and here, http://www.steve-took.co.uk/ .  Apparently the band was really popular on the John Peel show, which is where these recordings are from.  I'm not sure if Steve Took is on this recording as according to Wikipedia, "By 1969 there was a clear rift between the two halves of Tyrannosaurus Rex. Bolan and his girlfriend June Child (ex-girlfriend of Syd Barrett) were living a quiet life, while Took had fully embraced the anti-commercial/community spirited/drug-taking ethos of the UK Underground scene centred around Ladbroke Grove. Took was also attracted to the most anarchistic elements, such as Mick Farren/Deviants and members of the Pink Fairies Rock 'n' Roll and Drinking Club."  Took was replaced by Mickey Finn who some considered inferior to Took.  My first thoughts on T. Rex was they sound like a mix between Syd Barret and Tiny Tim, which to me is cool as I dig both those guys, especially Syd.  If you read the wikipedia article though, this was an early incarnation and the band moved on to bigger and better things.  Maybe I'll do a post on that later early glam stuff another time.  The way I got these files was as two big files without being seperated into tracks and with talking in between songs.  I went ahead and seperated, editted and labelled the songs, but after each set you can get them in their original form and at a higher bit rate.  This was kind of a fun process getting this to you so let me know what you think Set One 01/04/70

 

Hot Rod Mama Deborah Pavillions Of Sun Dove By The Light Of The Magical Moon Elemental Child The Wizard Set Two 12/10/70

 

Deborah Woodland Bop Ride A White Swan Jewel

No comments:

Post a Comment