Monday, April 20, 2009

Johnny Cash - The Sun Years

bad-stairsOne of my many things I do in working with people with disabilities is coming up with picture lists of job tasks for people who can't read.  So for instance if someone had to clean a toilet as part of a daily routine I might take pictures of toilet bowl cleaner, a toilet brush, a toilet and put them together indicating how and what was needed to get that particular job done.  That's a very simple example but you get the point.  When it comes time to do that I search around clip art sites to get images to match the jobs that are needing picture lists.  So, long story short I was looking for a clip art image of stairs and found this one, and in my subdued insanity I busted out laughing.  Sadistic laughing, finding humor in this cartoon woman's misfortune.  The shoe off, the hands out, the hair back and the look of fearful terror, still makes me laugh.  Needless to say I did not use this image for the picture list I was working on because the woman who needed that list would have been deathly afraid that was what was going to happen to her. Josie did itHands down my favorite western is Outlaw Josey Wales.  Clint Eastwood at his very best, with two of the best Native American actors in Chief Dan George  as Lone Wattie and Will Sampson as Ten Bears, and in a short but very sweet role Madeleine Taylor Holmes as Gannie Hawkins.  Eastwood the king of the one liners had some great ones in this one.  My favorite was probably "buzzards gotta eat, same as a worm".  Anyway if you haven't seen the movie you should and be sure and check the Wikipedia article on the movie here.  As if you guys cared about that I am interested in what you all think about that movie.  So with that movie on my mind... the-sun-yearsThis is sort of a logical follow up, in my sometimes not so linear mind, to the last post.  From Henpecker to Johnny Cash just works in my mind.  I will never be accused of being any kind of country fan especially when you consider the pop country that is popular today.  The wife and I did see this one big guy with a deep voice who's playing these days that I really liked and I think she has a crush on but I can't remember his name (we have satellite and get hundreds of useless channels that once in a while have something good on them).  EDIT: Trace Adkins is the guys name, good stuff.  There's a few exceptions I guess but if I had to pick country it would be older stuff like Waylon Jennings, Willie Nelson, Kris Kristofferson (+ J.C. = The Highwaymen), Patsy Kline and going back a little further Hank Williams.  Hell I've seen Willie Nelson, Hank Williams Jr., Kris Kristofferson and on the folk end of it the Weavers, in concert.  I guess that's the direction I head in is that more folk kind of country.  A while back our good friend Erich over at GoodBadMusic did an awesome Johnny Cash post and since then I've been thinking about posting this one.  His was a much rarer vinyl thing and this is just a CD but musically what you get is early, raw JC.  Here in the not too distant future I will be posting some 7"s of his from the 70's that I got just recently for a $1 a piece.  On top of that I will be posting a thing he did with Rick Rubin on Def Jam that blew me away, but this is the stuff I always come back to, classic. EDIT: Needless to say, if you were looking for a rip of this bad boy it's long gone copyright and all that, people profit from dead artists...hahahah. You can get this thing on CD at Discogs for a couple bucks and album for maybe $13. Anyway, one of my faves by the man, which is not on the album... [youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5mf-BIZumaA] Dalton GangThe Dalton Gang whose hideout museum is a couple hours south of here in Kansas that I went to way back when I was a kid.  Definately Mustard Relics.

No comments:

Post a Comment