Monday, May 25, 2009

Johnny Cash - American Recordings

c_cash Okay enough about my feeble brain and my petty concerns, let's make this short and do some music okay?  The Warden, mentioned another somewhat less overplayed Lynyrd Skynyrd tune in my last post that he thought was worth a listen... [youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xk83VHblPhE&w=560&h=315]  Turned out to be a pretty ripping tune that I'd never heard of before and certainly hadn't heard on the radio.  It turns out a stoner sludge outfit did a heavy thing with the tune too that I found when searching for the original pretty badass... [youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sxa0FIOqrwg&w=560&h=315] Not too long ago I did a Johnny Cash post that was well received, if not for the man himself, then at least for a discussion of "good" westerns.  Well fast forward about 35 years from those important Sun Recordings and you get the American Recordings produced by Rick Rubin and released on Def Jam.  I'm not going to get too into a discussion about this one except to say that you should not be disappointed by this stuff from a one of a kind man with a one of a kind voice.  If anything on these recordings his voice sound haunting and tortured in a way that you don't hear elswhere.  My personal favorites are "Delia's Gone" (which Kim thought I was nuts when we were dating to have put on a comp tape for her), "The Beast In Me" and "Thirteen" (written by Glenn Danzig).  What an honor it must have been for them to have worked with the man.  The first track... [youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HhSpaAComXo&w=560&h=315] Having trouble just shutting my pie hole and letting the music do the talking.  As I usually do before writting a post, I read about the music on Wikipedia (not as if it's the all knowing authority) to just kind of get in the groove along with listening to the tunes.  Well I found out that there is one tune from the American Recordings sessions that you can't get on a proper Johnny Cash album which is only on the Kill Bill vol. 2 soundtrack.  It's a killer so here that is.  The post wasn't that short after all. [youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QphglQu3oL0]

No comments:

Post a Comment