
This was the first one of the 7"s, that Erich over at
Good Bad Music sent me, that demanded playing, ripping and posting. This one took me way back to the days when I would be a guest DJ up at KHSU when I was in college. One of the many records they had up there that I had wished I had for myself and don't think that stealing many of them hadn't crossed my mind. I wish now that I had stolen a bunch of those rarities becuase in this digital age I wouldn't be surprised if they got rid of them all to make room for CDs. Row upon row of incredible records that showed that since the 70's whoever was deciding what to get for the station had done a damn good job. Somewhere I have a tape of one of the shows I DJ'd and at the end it is the beginning of the set for the next DJ who openned with "I Am A Poseur". It was funny because she was this really uptight lady that many people in my circle did not like (I could have cared less) and it was funny to hear her announce "I Am A Poseur", twice because she said "I'm A Poseur" the first time. Maybe not that funny now that I think about it and in reality we're all poseurs anyway. It was fun doing those shows as it was the middle of the night or early morning (vampire time) so pretty much it was just friends or die hard metal/punk/hardcore fans that were listening and you could play whatever the hell you felt like playing. The crew of people that I hung out with that were also DJ's ended up being pretty important to music in the Humboldt area during this time in that they formed Night Train Productions. Alot of shows with both local and out of town acts happened because of NTP and for a little while Arcata/Eureka California was a good stopping point for bands in between San Francisco and Portland. I think I've mentioned that somewhere else in this blog and I'm already starting to repeat myself so we will leave it at that. Anyway X Ray Spex were a pretty epic band as far as that first wave of British punk was concerned. This single, I believe their second, was released in 1978. Read about them at my usual source
here. At the beginning of the article they say that, "were “deliberate underachievers” and only managed to release five singles plus one album". I don't know if that's that small of an output for only being together for three years but what do I know. They were unusual in that they used the saxophone which wasn't cheeezy and actually made them rock harder. So enough talk, onto the music, thanx again Mr. Keller.
I Am A Poseur
The Day The World Turned Dayglow
I had heard that these guys had done some Peel Sessions, which I don't know if you've noticed yet, but I totally dig recordings done from that show, so I went and found them from
here. There is something so awesome about a well recorded live set. I'm not sure if this represents all they did with John Peel, I know they did two sessions, but these are what came with the 2 CD reissue of their Germ Free Adolescents album. Dig on how fast and powerful I Am A Poseur sounds.
Genetic Engineering
Art-I-Ficial
I Am A Poseur
Identity
Germ Free Adolescents
Warrior In Wolworths
Age
No comments:
Post a Comment