I've been MIA around here lately and I'm sorry about that. My Grandma died on Friday and the funeral was on Monday so there's been a lot going on. Not necessarily a sad event as she had been fighting cancer for 8 years with surgeries, almost non-stop chemo, and constant pain. She said it herself, she was ready to go. So I've been thinking about what would be a good tribute to her, but most of what I listen to would not be to her liking and would most likely scare, bewilder or anger her. Johnny Cash was a maybe but I just did two posts on him and really except for the stuff he did in the Highwaymen, I think I've represented him well. To be honest with you I really don't know what kind of music she liked, whatever old French Canadians born and raised in No Where, Kansas listen to I guess.
What I came up with was Wanda Jackson. The time frame is about right so what the hell, she also just got inducted into the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame and for the time she was a pretty seriously rockin lady (The Queen of Rockabilly). I don't know too much about her except for what I've read. Out of about 30 songs I listened to, there was one that stood out. Not something I would personally go out and buy, and you guys will probably just skip over it, which is okay too, but I can't deny this lady's place in rock and roll history and definitely her place in the progression of harder and harder music. I did actually really like this tune how it breaks from the Rockabilly into a country riff.
I Gotta Know
Edit: Well Josh a regular visitor and commenter around here, who just always seems to add great suggestions for other tunes related to a particular post, came through big time. He mentioned Funnel Of Love with the Cramps backing up Wanda Jackson and then took it one step further and sent me the tune. Just perfect with that Cramps vibe, check it out.
Funnel Of Love (featuring the Cramps)
Also I found a tune that is something traditional my Grandma may have listened to. Even though it is Cajun it's still Acadian. This tune was in the movie Southern Comfort (1981), if anyone remembers that great movie.
Balfa Brothers - Parlez Nous Borie (Let's Talk About Drinking)
Sweet Crude - Parlez-Nous à Boire
Sarah Savoy and the Francadians - Parlez Nous a Boire
[youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iMzysRahEXs&w=560&h=315]
No comments:
Post a Comment