
Got this one in the mail. The kind of joke a christian who didn't like some of what science has to say, might send to another like minded person, but it made me grin. I'm around a lot of people who are very literal about their bible and as I mentioned on another site, they don't understand the power of the metaphor. To me it's not worth arguing with them because what I "know" and what they "know" are two different things. These types of thinkers, or should I say believers, tend to hold their faith over the heads of others and wield the Bible like a weapon. Small town life accomodates people with that point of view as they smile to their neighbors and chit chat at the store about the farming, ranching and the weather, while secretly condemning them. It's nice being an outsider who is just an observer and not a part of any particular group. If anything to them I'm defined by the fact that I work with "retards" (they whisper under their breath). For some, the people I work with are contagious and I too may miraculously develop disabilities. You can learn a lot from people who's lives aren't cluttered with the everyday dramas we are surrounded with. Thus ends my scattered rambling wisdom for the day.
A beautifully grisly piece of animation someone sent to me.
It's odd, I have all these old records I could post, even have some new ones coming in the mail any day now, but I felt like following my last post, although in a completely different direction, and posting a comp of sorts. Another tape for you all. This one is inspired by a tape that a friend of mine, Jeremy, made for me back in college, that I have since lost. I've scoured my boxes of shit with no luck in finding a tape that represented the sum total of my blues music experience at the time I got it. Like discovering a skip in a record, the fact that I can't find it brings me down. All kinds of shit going on in this world and around me, but the loss of a piece of music is what afffects me. Anyway, I remembered most of the tunes that were on that and have aquired them, to present to you now. If you're into this kind of music (how could you not be?) a good starting point would be the
On Muddy Sava Riverbank blog. They were a lot of help to me as my physical copies of blues music is almost nil. Bear with me now on the sound quality as some of these tunes were transfered from old 78s and are almost 80 years old. As has become the custom with making these comps, this mix should fit neatly on a standard writable CD. If you're in the right mood, understand music history or just love good music this will be the shit for you. Let me know, i'm curious.
Sylvester Cotton - I Tried
Sylvester Cotton - Thanksgiving Blues
Sylvester Cotton - Stormy Weather Blues
Sylvester Cotton - Brownskin Blues
Fred McDowell - Wouldn't Mind Dyin'
Blind Lemon Jefferson - Change My Luck Blues
Son House - Walking Blues
Blind Lemon Jefferson - Hangmans Blues
Sam Collins - Jail House Blues
Blind Lemon Jefferson - See That My Grave Is Kept Clean
Bukka White - Aberdeen Mississippi Blues
John Lee Hooker - Boom Boom
John Lee Hooker - Hobo Blues
John Lee Hooker - It Serves Me Right To Sufferjohn Lee Hooker - Helpless Blues
Lightin Hopkins - Gin Bottle Blues
Lightnin Hopkins - Goin Down Slow_
Lightnin Hopkins - Baby Please Don't Go
Lightnin Hopkins - Lonesome Road
Mississippi John Hurt - Make Me A Pallet On The Floor
Robert Johnson - Crossroad
Son House - Death Letter Blues
Son House - Levee Camp Blues
John Lee Hooker - Look At What You Did To My Life
Samples of the many great blues videos out there.
[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ikxLNaAYu5k&w=425&h=344]
[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=77pmWCpMNkI&w=425&h=344]
[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bsMpHHSLSlc&w=425&h=344]
No comments:
Post a Comment