Friday, October 30, 2009

The Pricks / The Undeground Railroad To Candyland - split 10"

happy-halloween Well it's Halloween tomorrow and I've been looking around the other music blogs and many have special themed music.  Over at Cosmic Hearse, Aesop the guy who runs it, is touring with his bands, but one of his buddies has a sweet Halloween themed comp thing up for your listening pleasure.  Here at MR I guess I just couldn't think of anything special, boring old me.  Odd because despite the consumer craziness that it represents today, it is my favorite holiday.  The old lady really gets into it too and has us buy more and more decorations every year.  I'm kind of superstitious myself with my wierd spirtual mix of pan-Native religion, The Gospel of Thomas, Gnosticism and a little Santa Ria thrown in.  Everyone should at least read a general breakdown of what Halloweenis about, like the one you can get at my usual source here.  Something in the air I think, but those kinds of feelings and superstitions aren't rational so I'll keep my personal beliefs to myself.  On the other hand, here in the bible belt you definitely have two factions.  There are those that celebrate the consumer oriented, devoid of spirituality, day for children to collect cavities.  Then there is the Christian right wing literalists who believe that it is the devils day and that anything associated with Halloween has to do with heretics and evil.  They even have Halloween alternative events, candy and games but no scary shit.  Funny because even though I disagree with them on so many fronts, I would at least agree with them in that it is a spiritual day and it should not be taken lightly.  Booooooo! lies-and-bullshitGot this picture along with several others of graffiti in various places.  Social commentary at it's best, short and sweet.  That less is more attitude can say so much more than my drawn out ramblings ever could.  Does anyone agree that as some of us get older the "Lies and Bullshit filter" gets more finely tuned? Was reading comments over at Erich's Good Bad site and ran across a guy who semi-regularly has interesting comments over there.  Mr. Poopy.  Great sense of humor and it turns out he has a site of his own called, Glorify the Turd.  I wonder if Mr. Poopy has an unhealthy obsession with feces.  Anyway he's got quite the variety going on over there and if anything it might be good for a laugh or two.  Some stuff is posted for it's inherent comedy.  He did turn me onto one of the best song titles I've heard in a long time, from a band called Artless.  Check that tune Artless - When You're My Age You'll Be Selling Insurance and be sure and check out his site. friendsWas also reading somewhere that there is a difference between redneck and hillbilly.  I would agree but it's subtle like the difference between country and western.  We have both here, and I would say that for a redneck it would be an insult to call another redneck a hillbilly.  I say that as I am slowly morphing myself into a pseudo-redneck maybe even a hillbilly.  I will always fall short of a complete transformation though because I don't enjoy hunting, I don't like most country music and I can't stand John Wayne.  Even still I do live in the country, have horses, numerous dogs and both running and not running pick ups.  What had me scared for a little bit is the change in speech patterns, but I figure it's something you can't stop and it's not so bad.  "Y'all" (you all), came pretty quick, but it wasn't long until "Yar" (you are) was in my vocabulary.  We'll see what comes next. pricks-urtc This record is one of my most recent scores and actually represents the newest record I have in my collection as it was released in 2009.  What makes this a Mustard Relic, other than the fact that both sides of this bad boy kick ass, is that an old friend (that I never actually met), Todd C. is in The Undergroun Railroad To Candyland (URTC).  He's the guy that put out the Garden Weasel 7" on his own Recess records way back when.  now this thing was limited to only 300 copies so I doubt there are any left, but do yourself a favor and go and see if you can at his store or his site.  This was co-released by Rockstar Records, so if you're in Europe you should check with them if you want this.  I'm pretty much just going to let the music speak for itself, but I will say you have two very different bands.  The Pricks kind of remind me Zeke with that straight forward all out attach.  Really dig the singers voice, remind me of someone else but I don't know who.  Now both bands are playful, but I would say that URTC is a bit more so.  They kind of have more of a surfed out punk thing going on.  I don't know I'm not very good with descriptions, I just know I dug the hell out of both sides of this thing.  Let me know what you think. The Pricks Fuck You Too 5 Dollar Hand Job I Wish I Could Dance Like Sir Henry Fiat Don't Rape Piss On Me I'm On Fire Cover Up Short Song Is This A fucking Date Pay To Cum Contan Sick Go Home The Underground Rairoad To Candyland No Way! Miss U.S.A.! Age Of Consent Basty Wolves Yuppie Hip Hop Ad Livin' In A Straw (In The Summer Of Fraud)

No comments:

Post a Comment