Thursday, November 5, 2009

Napalm Death - Greed Killing 10"

EDIT: I would like to apologize as I just re-read this mountain of shit that I call a postpossessionIt can only serve to further alienate the 5 guys who regularly come here or at the very least bore you to death.  Like I expect you to spend an hour of your valuable time going over what is constantly spewing from my head.  So with that, enjoy...  Sometimes a relatively calm, thoughtful yet somber exterior hides an inner being that is filled with turmoil.  Almost tailor made for those moments are songs like, SPK - Germanik, because someone else has taken the time to put that feeling out there for you.  "Kill, Kill, Kill for inner peace/ Bomb, Bomb, Bomb for mental health/ Therapy through violence!".  It seems cowardly though, letting someone else do the talking for you.  Is it just an inability to effectively and accurately communicate?  Odd how these states of being come and go like inhaling and exhaling.  Anyway, I read somewhere of SPK that, "nerds across the globe revere the group".  I don't physically possess anything from SPK except some dubbed tapes, otherwise I would at least post the entirety of Auto-Da-Fe.  A good short read, is their original inspiration in Sozialistisches Patientenkollektiv.  Industrial is a genre I'm not too familiar with, any recommendations you guys, on some different bands? paimei-3 Not sure if anyone is a Kill Bill fan, but my boy Liam and I  really dig those flicks.  I think though that he just kind of has the hots for Uma Thurman.  At the end of Kill Bil vol.2, as the credits start to roll, is a tune that I was familiar with as it was a cover of  The Zombies - She's Not There.  The original reminds me of being a kid, about 1975, riding in my Mom's VW Beetle listening to AM radio.  Now there are several covers of that tune including, Santana - She's Not There.  Now I wasn't really concerned with hippie covers and actually there are several lame covers of the tune.  I just could not find the one I was looking for and even getting the Kill Bill vol.2 soundtrack I did not see it by name.  Well it turns out they used a different name for the track.  Such a great version of that song, Malcolm McLaren - About Her.  I love the dreamy quality of that version, it's like being stoned without the inconvenience of being stoned.  Something interesting about looking for things is that you often find something else that is worthwhile.  Like going for a walk for fresh air and happening upon the beautiful symmetry of a hawk going in for a kill on a rabbit.  Twice, I ran across other treasures while looking for that cover tune.  Realizing that I still have a lot to learn about everything, including music, here is an even better cover of that tune, UK Subs - She's Not There.  While Malcolm McLaren took it in one direction, the UK Subs put it through their own filter and what you get is a seriously punked out version.  Now the other treasure I found, may be the sweetest of all.   A song that is not a cover but just shares the same song title.  Fucking banging tune, you must check out, The Hospitals - She's Not There.  Anybody know anything about the Hospitals? nd-gkI first heard Napalm Death in about 1984 when I listened to their tune off of the Bullshit Detector 3 comp on Crass Records.   If you're not familiar with that series of comps I highly recommend them, a big education for me in the early 80's.  Some lame tunes but tons of great ones, like Napalm Death's The Crucifixion Of Possessions.  Nothing like what they would later become but still great for what they were.  I liked the tune so much that a year or so later I ended up writing to them and getting their Hatred Surge Demo.  Slightly different from that initial tune but still similar.  My favorite was always Instinct Of Survival, which worked out well for me because they would continue to play that song on other releases.  When I got SCUM in about 1987, I thought what I was getting was more of the same, but this band showed, in a way foreshadowing the fact that their sound would continue to evolve and band members would come and go, that they were up to something completely different.   Two years after the Hatred Surge demo, listen to what they did with Instinct Of Survival (from SCUM).  Historic.  It was no problem to get FETO not too much later, and be completely blown away as they further refined their sound.  Around the same time, ended up getting a couple of 7"s and their first Peel Session.  After that they pretty much fell off the radar for me.  Maybe 12 years later I happened to be going through the used section at a record store and picked up the Complete Radio One Sessions on CD.  Probably because I was in a drunken stupor 99.99% of the time back then, I didn't even notice that on the later sessions that they had changed their sound again to a still somewhat fast, but heavier type of metal.  Just on that one CD you had them at the dawn of grindcore with The Kill / Prison Without Walls / Dead, pt.1 up to where I am posting today with My Own Worst Enemy (I actually like this Peel Session version better than the one you will find on Greed Killing).  So long story short (ha, ha), I had the opportunity to go with the old lady to the large town/small city of Salina a couple of weeks ago.  150 miles away and it's the closest thing you could call a record store with vinyl.  They didn't have a lot but I managed to pick up a Melvins 7", a Locust 4x7" and 3 Napalm Death 10"s.  Blew my mind really that they had those, but what really blew my mind was being in a record store again after about 8 years.  Incense burning, posters, nick knack skulls, band t-shirts and non-redneck employees.  The only thing that was missing from the old days was the bongs and pipes, but you won't find that in Kansas.  Hell even when I brought the records home they still smelled like incense.  So anyway, what I have for you is a Napalm Death release from 1995.  Reflecting another shift in sound from their 80's stuff and several different band members.  Getting Terrorizer's Jesse Pintado (rip) was a big plus though.  Why they still call themselves Napalm Death I don't know, but I don't mind that their music is evolving.  After 25+ years of existence even if it is just in name, I would hope that they would have something new to offer.  I'd say based on style you could probably come up with 3-4 seperate bands over that period of time, but I haven't even explored the ND, 1995-present yet.  So I guess with nothing more to say (finally, huh?), I'll ask you to give these tunes a listen and hopefully tell me what you think.

 

Greed Killings My Own Worst Enemy Those tunes are at 192 Kb/s.  If you want them at a higher bit rate, I know that The House Of Sight And Sound in Salina, Kansas still has one copy left of this.  Actually I'm sure Earache Records still has all kinds of Napalm Death for you to buy.

No comments:

Post a Comment