
Was reflecting on something from a post and the ensuing comments at
Good Bad Music and remembered that I had saved this picture a long time ago. This picture makes me laugh every time I look at it. The guy was probably so stoked to be the fellow who got to light the fire. Kind of a lesson for all of us, how sometimes things just don't work out the way we planned or what may seem like a really good idea, really is not. I don't count myself as patriotic. I have more loyalty to the ground I walk on, the air I breath, and the people I'm close to, than I ever could be to a bunch of guys in suits, controlled by even richer guys in suits, surrounded by almost 300 million idiots. I do recognize that I have quite a bit more freedom than a lot of other souls in this world and I have no choice but to be somewhat grateful for that. But to who? I don't know about anybody else, but I'm torn by that fact. Most people here have it good, some not so good, some too good, but there really are some serious problems here. I certainly don't feel that this country is superior to any place else, but I know we have it pretty sweet. It's really sweet for those who buy into the American dream, endlessly pursuing monetary wealth, like gluttons. Robots, or maybe better yet, rats in a maze, getting better at finding the cheese. I feel like most people idolize the wealthy, while it sickens me and makes me want to further isolate myself. There is no escape of course, success is measured in terms of materialism. Probably not just an American thing, I guess where ever you can find human beings, there will be that particular form of selfishness. Maybe it would be cool though, if a country was honest enough about itself to put a "$" (or whatever the symbol is for their currency) on their flag.

This GIF is just too fucking off the wall, if I do say so my self. Wish I knew where it was from.
Well I only got one vote as to which version of Johnny Cash's "Ring of Fire" was better, Social Distortion's or Wall of Voodoo's. Jay picked WoV's, which is my personal favorite too, and that works out well because I ran across a damn good early demo version of it. Check it,
Wall Of Voodoo - Ring Of Fire (demo). In case you didn't read the comments from the last post, Mike pointed out that, even more than I imagined, there are a shit load of
Ring Of Fire covers. Powerful song.
Do you ever get a song that pops into your head out of seemingly nowhere (stupid rhetorical question, I know)? These days, with the ease of the internet, I am compelled to track it down, even though, at the very least, I probably have it on a cassette somewhere. Remember this one,
Stiff Little Fingers - Suspect Device? Undoubtedly my favorite little diddy from those guys but I couldn't tell you which version I liked better, that one, off their first LP, "Inflammable Material" or the earlier 7" version,
Suspect Device.
I mentioned a while back that a buddy of mine had sent me an ebook and then recently, I had the opportunity to look for another book (like I have time to sit down and read), Michel Foucault's "Discipline and Punish: The Birth of the Prison". So, anyway I found a cool site for ebooks (I'm sure there's tons of them, I'm new to that kind of search) called
Ebook3000. Might be worth someone's time.

Well it was only a matter of time before I posted the
SubHumAns. Again, I was somewhere else (the same post that inspired the first photo) and a song about one of the many nasty sides of religion was mentioned. Worked out well, since I had just been listening to this and ripped it. Nothing rare here, I wish I had a demo or a live show (may actually have that, just didn't look) and actually you buy this single included on their "EP-LP" , it's very available. Just kinda felt like they deserved a place here on MR. Had several chances to see these guys, but I didn't, old story really. I did see Dick and I believe it was Trotsky, as Citizen Fish. More of a ska thing there, definitely diggable, but not the same. My buddy Greg (Ivan) in high school was big time into these guys, which stood as a stark contrast to his Christian and Republican leanings. I've got all their 7"s and several of their LPs, but this one was always my favorite. Side A. Those two tunes were, as I've said about other songs, on many a comp tape I made. Two very different songs, but they each stand well on their own. Side B is cool to but if you only have a second, listen to "Religious Wars" (very relevant today) and "Love Is..." (always relevant).
Religious Wars
Love Is...
Its Gonna Get Worse
Work Experience
No comments:
Post a Comment