Thursday, January 28, 2010

Tampere SS - Sotaa 7"

Well, think I've given up on the local "classic rock" station, 96.9 KFIX, that's been mentioned several times around here. Been pestering them for a while now, both by phone during the request hour and by email through their website. You gotta wondering how much leeway a DJ has as far as what's played anyway. They certainly don't have any vinyl like when I DJ'd and I'm wondering if they even have CDs. I think it's just some corporate controlled database on the computer. When I was young it was about nuclear war, politics, society in general and now I've reduced myself to stalking a radio station that obviously doesn't make decisions on it's own out here in the middle of nowhere. Pretty silly I know with all the bullshit going on in the world, but how you can you call it classic rock when you don't play the MC5, the Stooges, Motorhead, the Runaways, .... Those are not obscure bands.  Right is right.  Yes, it has been fun getting into those special tunes that I had never run across like The Who - Boris The Spider or Lynyrd Skynyrd-Junkie. The reality though is that you have to suffer through so much total shit, to finally get served up something that is as rare as stars in the night sky seen from a major city. I heard Sammy Hagar's "Can't drive 55", AGAIN today, and decided that was enough. Culturally (or is it sub-culturally) many of us are defined by the music we listen to and 99% of the shit on that station I simply can not identify with. Fucking Camaro music. Even for those of us who have a varied taste, there are some lines we can not cross, no matter how patient we think we are. This picture makes me think of a lot of things. Youth, energy, dope, helplessness... I don't know.  Any thought's? Seemingly random black metal tune Ildjarn-Nidhogg - Mørklagt Sti.  That Norwegian stuff tends to be pathetically idiotic and racist, but I couldn't find any lyrics for this song, so for all I know it could be a Norwegian nursery rhyme.  Been kinda exploring the black metal thing, but pretty much sticking to what is apparently described as lo-fi or raw.  Simple stuff, with a hardcore edge.  I'm also a little superstitious so... If you're looking for something to read besides my ramblings and are up for an ironic laugh, check out this hoax. Discovered an interesting blog the other day called Egg City Radio. Apparently written by an LA local who's pretty involved in the action as far as music. Good writing and music, maybe worth your time (there's so damn many blogs these days and actually mine should be saticfying all your blogging needs right). I was going to do a Cramps post at some point, thinking that I had at least a couple of LPs and a few 7"s. When I looked to see what I had, GONE! With so many gaps in my memory, from burn out and blackout, who knows what could have happened to them (or if I even had them in the first place, ha, ha). Loaned out, stolen, used as a frisby, I wish I knew. I'm dead set though to at least share the tunes I have rolling around like a rock in my head. First off, if you didn't know, Mr. Cash did Live at Folsom Prison and the Cramps did "Live at Napa State Mental Hospital" in 1978. A must watch video, that reminds me very much of where I work, minus the novelty of having the Cramps play. You can check that out on Youtube or get the whole thing from a pretty cool site called Aural Damage.  My three favorite Cramps tunes, Human Fly Sunglasses After Dark TV Set An old Humboldt buddy of mine, Sam Atakra, posts tunes he listens to from his fairly extensive collection.  He mentioned one that I have on tape but I hadn't heard in many years, Soft Cell - Sex Dwarf. Love or hate this tune it reminds you that the 80's were an amazing time to be listening to music.  I like several songs on that album. While hardcore was raging on here in the states, it was equally on fire elsewhere.  Another Finnish shredder for you here, you might remember me posting their countrymen KaAos a little bit ago. Equally as good in my opinion. Actually there were quite a few good bands during this period (early 80's) coming out of Finland.  No idea what it's like in Finland, other than probably very cold a lot of the time, but they must have had stuff to bithc about there as well.  Didn't try too hard but there's not a lot of web presence for these guys and actually they didn't have a whole lot of output anyway. You can get their demo over at Old School, that is slamming too. Don't really have too much else to say, as usual I blew my load writing the rest of this post. I ripped this because I felt like listening to it, so now you can do the same. Later. Sotaa Sunnuntai-Ilta Taisteluhymni Loputon Marssi Kaveleva Ruumis Takaa-Ajettu Sekasorto Pikku-Mako

 

No comments:

Post a Comment