
Busting my ass at work, because the boss is gone and I have to take care of some of the things that are normally on her plate, as well as what's normally on mine. Funny because one would think that with the boss away, it would be a good time to kick back and do as little as humanly possible. Did take a few minutes, just for the hell of it, to send out an email to pretty much everyone in my address book. The usual Justin babble about politics, big business, greed and the gluttonous hordes that cover the face of this planet (you've heard it all before). I guess just to see if people would write back and what they would have to say. Figured, I get people puking their political beliefs into my face all the time, maybe I could do the same. It's mostly the right wing fundamentalist Christian stuff I get from family members, which is blatantly false, so why not throw some thing out there that says both the left and right suck. "Left wing, right wing, you can stuff the lot, anarchy and freedom are what I want". -Crass Really wanted to get some feedback from my relatives but didn't so anyway here are some of the excellent responses I did get:
"I can't begin to express how disappointed I am in Obama. I voted for him, thinking that maybe he was different. But, now, it seems he is no different than the rest of them. I wish him luck, but will not be voting for him again. Too bad there are no viable candidates for the future. Pathetic is right."
"So how do we get people to stop being greedy and start being more selfless? If evolution is true, then there is no "morality". Only "survival of the fittest (strongest, most clever, shrewdest, etc.)". This is the ethic that most people are taught and grow up with. How can there be any morality beyond this in a cold, godless, random universe?"
"Well put, my friend. I still argue that we had better punk rock under Reagan."
"they're both cocksukers anyway we're being played I just saw Food Inc. - big companies rule us by our need for fast food, and we let them. the gov is so big it's untouchable. I gotta plant a better garden and see what animal I can raise out here that I can eat. any suggestions?"

Now here is a flag you (we, the ignorant masses) can pledge allegiance to. Kinda stoked that I found that, very much what I had imagined a few posts back, although I can think of a few mega-monster-corps I would add, but we ran out of stars.
Just got off the phone with Mike of
Strange Reaction and was very stoked on our conversation. My first friend from the internet (that I've never met), who shares some of the passions I do, to make that transition from internet buddy to being a homeboy you can chat with on the phone. Silly I know, but there are very few people where I live who could give a rats ass about anything more than how cool their brand new gas guzzling truck, what kind of gun Jesus would use and when turtle hunting season starts. I actually do have some pretty good friends here and don't get me wrong, even in my self imposed semi-isolation, I realize I have a very good life here. Sometimes it's good to reach out though, and share stories and opinions with like minded people. Thanx Mike.
Speaking of internet friends, Josh, who is actually someone I should remember from my Humboldt days, but apparently the cells my memories of him were stored on are either malfunctioning or are just plain burned up, has his own site now. If anybody bothers to read the comments around here, you may have caught some of his stuff. Anyway, his site is called,
Voice from the Hurricane and from the first post you know it's going to be well worth checking out.
Two more internet friends,
Erich and
Peter (click their names to see the posts I'm talking about), have written a few times about the first D-Beat tune. Kind of fits well with this post, in a way. Anyway I tracked down two different versions of the song (two different singers I believe) and if there's one tune you must listen to in this post, it is this.
Buzzcocks - You Tear Me Up (1977)
Buzzcocks - You Tear Me Up (1978)
Thanx guys for continuing my never ending education in music. A very good lesson indeed. (Ah ha, using the word "indeed" clicked something in my brain. Anyone remember those stickers you could get in the head shops that said, "A friend with weed is a friend indeed"? Another one, "Ass, grass, gas, nobody rides for free".)


Same as always, I've done worn myself out and here we are at what was to be the topic of this post. Not much to say really, I'm not an expert at the whole Dis-Clone band phenomena and I think this would be the only record I have that fits into that category. The whole genre is a love it or hate it thing, as is crust in general (actually I find that most people are love it or hate it type of people, when a lot of the times for me things are just okay). I REALLY like Discharge. There's nothing wrong with being influenced by the genius of their music, but this stuff is pretty much exactly Discharge, as if the band had never made the fatal error of replacing Bones with Pooch, releasing the "Warning..." ep and sealing their fate with "Grave New World". (Just my opinion of course and maybe an outdated one at that.)
Disclose are probable the most well known and most prolific (and best?) of these types bands. There are two things that stand out for me with this band though, other than the fact that they do rock. There is still that Japanese feel to this hardcore despite the blueprint. You gotta dig that indescribable Japanese sound. Most importantly though, I'm drawn to bands that have members who did death by addiction, as the singer did not too long ago (and by alcohol, my own drug of choice). This 7" is sort of midway into the band's history. Anyway dig it or don't. Later.
Apocalypse of Death
But Still Work (Victims Of The Mine)
Life Of Fear
The War Dead
Corpse of Hope
No comments:
Post a Comment