Thursday, February 18, 2010

Linton Kwesi Johnson - Sonny's Lettah (Anti-sus Poem)

Lucy & RickiIn most things, I am a very laid back person, (with the exception of politics, religion and the mass majority of idiots in this world) some would say too laid back.  An unfortunate side effect I suppose of some of the medications that keep me moderately sane or maybe I'm just a lazy bastard.  I used to be the take two stairs at a time kind of guy, but as someone used to say to me back when I was a city worker, "my hero days are over".  On the other hand, sometimes I am particular (picky, anal).  There are tablespoons and there are teaspoons.  At my house we have a third size 'medium', there in the middle of the picture, maybe you do too.  We have three of those 'medium' ones in the drawer and when I use a spoon it must be that size.  If they are all dirty, then I grumble and clean a 'medium' one so that I can use it.  When my wife and I have company over, I do not offer anyone the 'medium' spoons.  Just saying, so you know. If you're going to be self-destructive, it's a bonus if you can do it with a smile on your face.  There comes a point though, where that smile gets wiped the fuck off your face. Ever wish the human race didn't exist, then realize you're one too. A couple of buddies have mentioned Kraftwerk recently.  First heard them in the early 80's with their "Computerwelt" Lp, but at that time, they were just kind of an oddity to me.  Never even realized they went way back to 1970.  While I was in high school Greg and Jeff Lewis, Davrick, Kevin Hasley and I went camping at the isthmus on Catalina Island.  My bro Match was on the island too working not that far away at the Emerald Bay boy scout camp.  We did not prepare well for the trip unless you count several cases of beer and a fifth of vodka.  We had a little bit of bread for sandwiches which quickly ran out.  Some people felt sorry for us and gave us some potatoes but there was no tinfoil so we cut the ends off of beer cans.  We brought a boombox but we only had two tapes, one was Kraftwerks, "Electric Cafe".  Be careful, this song gets stuck in your head easily, then you might be walking around all day singing boing (ping) boom tschak (ping). Or not. Did a LKJ post a while back that you really should have listened to.  I don't care if you like reggae or not (this is more of what they call dub poetry anyway), this is some beautiful, honest, real life, brutality. Linton Kwesi Johnson is well worth a listen.  [youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ls9pSdVFaJU&w=560&h=315]

No comments:

Post a Comment