Thursday, March 11, 2010
Vi - The Triumph of Death 7"
A little late getting started on this one, kinda going through one of those funks I have every once in a while. As Iggy might say, "not right". Antiseen's Twisted Brain comes to mind as well. Anybody else get those disconnected feelings? Not just in the mind but you can feel it all over your body too. Or do you have to be familiar with anxiety and psychosis. Irritable does not even begin to describe it, and tired at the end of the day because you use up all your energy trying to keep your kool. That's what music's for, right? (And this place, for me.)
Is it just me and maybe the fact that this is a picture from 1970, or are you telling yourself like I am, "hell yes they inhaled". As you know I'm not much for either party (or those fucking goons in the Tea Party either), especially these days, but life in the United States was, at least on the surface, pretty good when Bill sat on the throne. Almost made you believe money, greed and power weren't behind everything. A Golden Era? Maybe not (maybe so, we'll see what the history books say in 20 years) but after 8 years of Bush II this place is fucked up. Really, as supreme commander of the cannibalistically gluttonous, with the power to completely wipe out life on planet earth (except the cockroaches of course), you're not doing too bad when your biggest fault is wanting some strange in the form of young chubby cocksucking women. My friend Dawn from college went on to become an attorney and worked at the white house during the Clinton thing. Among other things she said that he was a stud. And Hillary, what did she ever doing wrong except stick with a man who was cheating on her. I never understood why they blasted that lady and let Tipper Gore get away with murder (maybe not because now the "Explicit Lyrics" sticker is some kind of idiotic badge of honor, that sells more albums). Anyway, I kinda liked that picture, they look happy, and maybe like they would have enjoyed having a cup of coffee and a cigarette with the Mustard.
On some of the other sites I visit (there are some fucking seriously good ones out there) they some how manage to get "underground" news. Where do you go to find out that kind of stuff? You know stuff about the not so rich and famous. I'm not talking about Corey Haim (another suicide by addiction?). Fucking tragic shit, that really is only symbolic of the masses of people that end up that way. The other Corey from the Goonies was my favorite. So, anyway, my bro Sang and I are emailing back and forth, writing about how difficult life can be sometimes and he mentions another guy who died a few days earlier, Mark Linkous (pictured at left). He was the meat and potatoes behind the band Sparklehorse. Not really that underground, and when you're labeled "alternative" I have a hard time taking a band seriously, but I really dug those guys. I posted my favorite album of theirs a while back, It's A Wonderful Life, but that one flew way under the radar as the only comment I got was from my bro Slam, talking about the seasons changing. :-) So, dude had some emotional problems mixed with, you guessed it, drug problems, took a rifle and shot himself in the heart. Yes I know, indicative of a larger population that goes unmentioned but, DAMN. Really the music, that I called heroin music, lends itself to the suicidal personality, so it wasn't a big leap. His stuff was fucking good though, Syd Barrett would have been proud. Also reminds me of the bad spaces I've been and how I've overcome all of that. Do me a favor and give the title track off that album a spin and let me know what you think.
It's A Wonderful Life
Mike reminded me of how lucky I was to still have a Grandpa that was alive and kicking. My gramps sent me this one. Union blue collar to the bone and at 81 he spends his time on a computer, a machine he only recently has come to know.
So, was listening to the radio again (uh oh, right). Found another one of those early to mid 70's super hits that must have negatively influenced those that came to create punk rock. Also another one of those I know I heard on the AM radio in my Mom's bug circa 1975. They're biggest hit I think, even bigger than their hippy stuff of the late 60's before they changed their name the first time. I have an album that I'll have to post sometime by a band called the Great Society, which I actually think is very cool. Look them up. So if you're a real man and can shed every last shred of your machismo (and maybe your dignity) how about...
Jefferson Starship - Miracles
How about another one, but a few years later, 1977, at the dawn of punk rock. One of my first cassettes was Blue Oyster Cults "Agents of Fortune". Not really sure why I was into those guys to be honest with except to say I was about 8 years old and into Dungeons and Dragons. Somehow there's a connection. This tune gets way overplayed on the "classic rock" stations, but I can still dig the middle part with the delays and the sampling.
Blue Oyster Cult - Godzilla
Was this in it's own way like punk?
NWA - Straight Outta Compton
I tried this time to find something else I had that I could not find posted anywhere else (it's hard to do that unless you really have some rarities). The band is called Vi out of Denmark and was released somewhere between 1985 and 1987. I got this around that time from a guy I've mentioned before, Ade, the Satanic Malfunctions drummer that I was trading music with back then. Released on the Loony Tunes Records label that I've featured a bunch of times around here as well. If you look around "Vi" is a popular name for a band and even more popular, especially in the black metal circles, is the title "The Triumph of Death". Other than that I could really find out nothing about this band except that this was their only release (must've had a demo though). If you know anything let me know. Interesting is that "The Triumph of Death" is a famous, crazy ass painting from 1562 by Pieter Bruegel the Elder that's worth posting (thumbnail).
As far as the band you get some pretty decent European hardcore that may not blow you away but in my opinion isn't too bad. Kind of cool that they sing a few in English and then some others in their own language. Straight forward, no nonsense type of stuff that maybe some would call a BGK rip off, or is that just the sound of the region. I'm no expert and what to you want for free anyway? :-) "Bunch of Shit" is my favorite here, but they all sound fairly similar. If you do nothing else, have a NICE day.
Tiltcore
En Slov Kniv Brystet
It's Love
Bunch Of Shit
Gadebillede
Alt For Meget Menneske
Dod Radden Menneskehed
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment