Thursday, March 18, 2010

War - Cisco Kid b/w Beetles In a Bog 7"

Thinking about renaming this site SUBURBAN BITCH after the Conservatives song of the same name on the "Hell Comes To Your House" comp. The song starts out, "Coffee and cigarettes, small talk and bullshit...", perfect.  Ha, ha, my bullshit though right?  Why don't you give that tune a listen.   May as well give everything else the Conservatives ever released, two on said comp, and three more on the "You Can't Argue With Sucksess" comp (which aren't as good). Anybody know if they did anything else? (my copy of HCTYH has a needle snapping scratch the length of one side)

Suburban Bitch Just Cuz / Nervous Confusion Nuclear Madness Beaver Cleaver Well the Spring Equinox (Vernal) or March Equinox (so as not to be northern hemisphere-centric) is on the 20th. I'm not sure about you guys, but it means a lot of things to me, much more than it ever did when I lived in SoCal.  Shure is gettin' perty 'round here.

Was watching Rugby (England vs. Scotland) and the announcer said something about England not having "habitual fluidity".  I thought that was interesting.  You can read/hear about sports being a metaphor for life or finding lessons in sports that apply to life (take that for whatever it's worth).  But "habitual fluidity", that, for some reason seems profound at the moment.  Something that might be good to have in life. When I was a practicing alcoholic and addict I did not have habitual fluidity it was more like being stuck in quicksand, a different kind of habitualness all together.

Looked up and was interested in a relevant word/concept that I've never really took the time to know the exact meaning of, Plutocracy. The folk-punk band A.P.P.L.E. that's been featured around here, had an album called "Plutocracy" and I always just took it for some fancy word that meant fucked up government. Always did procrastinate on my homework and ran around not knowing what the hell was going on. gimmick-" a trick or device used to attract business or attention."

For some reason, as long as I've been working for a paycheck (since I was 14), I've bought things and thought about how long it took me to earn that. So for instance, if I made $10 an hour, it would take me about a half hour to have enough for a pack of cigarettes (at this time I won't talk about the crazy taxes on cigs). I don't know why but I always appreciated what I had when I took the time to think about how long it took me to earn it.   Back then a non-import LP was about $7.  The first job I had paid $2.50 an hour, so after three hours of work I had enough for a record (plus 50 cents to take the bus).  My bro Match, years ago, told me that all we have is time and we sell some of that time to get the things we need (and stuff we don't need too).  If you bother to read my babble around here you know that lately I've been fixated on the wealthy. People who can afford materialism and a fascination with shiny objects. Some useless information, just read that there are a little bit over 1000 billionaires in the world right now. Poor people are no more righteous than rich people of course, because most of them dream of being rich anyway. Anyway I wanted to figure out how much a person taking home a million dollars a year was making an hour. I've already mentioned that at my current hourly rate, with a little bit of overtime, I will take home my first million in about 55 years. For the guy who take home a million a year (that's not even considered rich anymore), he makes $480 an hour (after taxes) or around $8 a minute.  Do you know what I could do with $8 a minute?  I don't know... I think I'm going to give in guys, I too want to be rich.

You don't have to be to appreciate these guys.  They are a natural high.  Threatened a while ago that I was going to post some WAR so here you go.  I have they're Greatest Hits on cassette that my Mom got for me back in the late 70's.  A must have for you to round out whatever kind of collection you music lovers have.  Interesting too because the compact cassette (introduced in 1963) in the mid 70's was taking over the market from the 8-track cassette and so they came out with some trippy cases for the things (as my War cassette does) until settling on the clear plastic one with the paper insert that we came to know (more useless info).  Anybody know what I'm talking about?  Anyway this is hands down my favorite War tune, yes even more than the universally popular Low Rider.  They have lots of good tunes though.  "Why Can't We Be Friends", "The World is a Ghetto", and my second favorite tune of theirs, for your listening pleasure Slippin' Into Darkness.  Hard to categorize these guys, a lot of people might just lump them in the funk category, but I kinda feel like they have a lot more going on than that.  Speaking of which maybe sometime we should do a Parliment or Funkadelic post sometime.  In Cisco Kid, with a big band and several instruments, there's a lot going on.  It all comes together though in this groove, especially when you listen to how the bass and drums play off of each other.  Text book shit that should make the song required listening for anyone wanting to take up an instrument (of course every instrument I ever took up I sucked at, so what do I know).  Pretty sure this single version is different than the one off the album, "The World Is a Ghetto".  Got mine from a guy in Japan, as you can tell.  I mentioned a while back too that I saw these guys, must have been in about '95, but doing some reading on them I found out that the War that's been playing for a while only has one original member.  The key members and the majority of the original guys play in the Low Rider Band (one those ugly fights over band names that ultimately most of the band lost out on).  Blah blah blah could go on, as I've proven time and again, but it's time to open the door so you can settle into this (the B side is just okay).  These guys definitely have "habitual fluidity".

 

Cisco Kid Beetles In A Bog

(sorry for the shitty bit rate on those you guys, it's the server limit of 7mb per file, sucks, but I ripped them at 256k so...)

Cypress Hill did what rappers sometimes do to a tune (not bad if that's your thing), you can check that Cypress Hill (feat. Method Man & Redman) - Cisco Kid This video is like a fucking history lesson in music (the audio for it, Cisco Kid (Live 1973 Midnight Special).

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GMlrI6IkQv0&w=480&h=385]

No comments:

Post a Comment