
It's funny because I can kinda tell when it's time to do another post, when the "regulars" around here start trickling down on the comments. If you take that whole, this is my coffee house thing and you guys are my guests, I'm putting on another fresh pot of my finest blend boys and you're welcome to get it while it's fresh. (The guy at left, who looks a little like my buddy Ed, although not nearly as good looking, is showing you the sign for "coffee") We're still missing a few people on the last post, but to be honest with yall I hope they get back to that one, because that post in the context of my life, is probably the most important of the 281 posts I've done so far. On top of that, in my opinion, that music is perfect, in it's emotion, it's performance and it's complete and utter lack of bullshit. It sets the standard by which I judge all other music.
The posts around here, at least for a time, may shrink or dwindle as my son Liam will be here for his summer stay in a couple of weeks. Time to get away from the radiation and enjoy the outdoors. All kinds of plans, as usual, and we'll be lucky if we get half of them done. Probably set up head quarters at the river or the lake or where the river meets the lake. Redneck things involving fishing poles, guns, and my 13 year old boy tearing up the dirt roads doing some driving practice. Will update...
I posted this tune on FB and really it speaks for itself, I don't have to tell you how great this is.
[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qgfdUzflEnw&w=480&h=385]
Then I found this one. Excellent cover. I've said it before, I can't stand a karaoke cover, where it sounds like a feeble attempt to make it as close to the original as possible. Do your own thing and make the song yours. Plus on this one, I'm a sucker for the cello (or is it a stand up bass played with a bow or are they the same) and singing through the loud speaker a la the Butthole Surfers giving you that police standoff/riot feel which is perfect.
[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8lVkg4ecPk&w=480&h=385]
The audio for those two:
The Clash-Guns Of Brixton
Arcade Fire - Guns of Brixton
A couple recently discovered tunes that fit into the category of "good" covers (of course not nearly as good as the originals):
original=Venom - Angel Dust cover=Morpheus Descends - Angel Dust
original=Joy Division - Love Will Tear Us Apart cover=The Cure - Love Will Tear Us Apart

Just so you know, I hate the fact that I have no scanner and I have to steal crappy scans from random sites. Another example of why it's far from perfect around here. The lack of "really" rare records in my milk crates is another. For instance this one is very common, but it was also released on a much rarer 78rpm promo copy (my turntable doesn't play at 78 anyway). So...
999. This I believe is their 2nd 7" from 1977. I've had it dubbed on cassette for eons, but recently got it for a couple of bucks. Never was that much of a 999 fan, I really just dabbled in that 77' UK scene, except the Clash, until much later (unless you consider the whole Crass phenomenon as part of that). This is their best in my opinion, (that's why I finally bought it, duh) but even though the A side is pretty damn good it's the B side that gets my rocks off. So disgustingly snotty. If you don't know it, take a minute to do so now, and if you do, I hope you know what I'm talking about.
[youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6BTUbOonROw&w=560&h=315]
[youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UiUM0NRMqbM&w=560&h=315]
No comments:
Post a Comment