Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Pissed Happy Children/Infest - split 8" flexi

Barn SwallowThe barn swallows came back from their yearly trip down to southernmost South America about a week ago.  Everywhere I've ever lived there's been barn swallows so I guess they're kind of like pigeons, seagulls (yes even in Kansas), and starlings, except maybe that they're native and they migrate.  Anybody remember in the OLD Bugs Bunny cartoons, him singing, "Oh when the swallows come back to Capistrano"?  Interesting how I was thinking about them and I got in touch with an old house mate/buddy of mine Shawn (hey man) from college who specialized in ornithology (the study of birds).  My first memories of seeing swallows (a different variety than we have here I believe) was back in those college days when I had a job riding a lawn mower on campus.  Not sure what it was about but I always took them for being playful, because they would dive and streak in front of me as I was mowing along as if they were daring me to try to get them.  They're probably just hunting insects.  If you've seen it before you know how it's kind of daringly comical.  The ones here, some 20 years later in my life, do the same thing and actually will do that while you're walking. You can find them just about anyplace around here, on my farm it's the barns.  They don't dig it when you go in there while they're nesting and kind of dive bomb and flutter over your head.  I'm not sure why I'm writing about them except that as your local internet prophet you listen.  Part of it is that I'm stoked to have an old solid head like Shawn back on the radar.  The computer age has made that so much easier, although I guess that can be a bad thing too if you don't want to be found.  To put myself out there actually puts me at risk but what the fuck.  Part of my fanciful barn swallow musings, is that in this time of my life, I enjoy paying to attention to what's going on around me, especially in nature but everywhere in general.  So much of my life is a blur, it's nice to sit back and smell the coffee. It's that time again, sharing another tune I heard on the oldies/classic rock radio station I listen to these days.  May have mentioned it before but I am NOT a Bruce Springsteen fan.  Just never bought into his deal although I've heard he's one of the hardest working dudes in RnR, constant touring and 4 hour shows.  Always figured he had that Eastern US appeal with guys working in a steel mill or the docks listening to him while they work.  There is a softer side to your humble servant here at Mustard Relics, the only tune I know of liking by the "Boss" and the tune I heard on the radio, [youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nMhAnbJ02HQ&w=560&h=315] As has become somewhat of a custom around here, I'm always curious about and interested in sharing covers of a featured tune.  The first represents the worst kind of cover, what I have called a karaoke cover. On top of that the guy makes me a little sick to my stomach, Ari Hest - I'm On Fire About the same, LAME, John Mayer - I'm On Fire A little more interesting, slowed down with the addition of strings, very diggable, [youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ylq21G7WD5E&w=560&h=315] Better than the original, but Mr. Cash with his one of kind voice and genuine soulful emotion, the man never had a bad moment in my book (even the gospel stuff), [youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHLQPgrSfWY&w=560&h=315] The wife and I watch this real life crime show on TruTV called "Forensic Files" (a hilarious show on TruTV is "The Smoking Gun Presents: World's Dumbest" [you MUST check the link unless you don't like to laugh]).  Not a big fan of cops although I did call them when my truck got stolen, which kind of makes me hypocritical.   May have mentioned before too that I called them once on myself on day 2 or 3 of particularly disgusting detox, thinking there was a dragon under my bed and that some people had left a baby in my house.  An additional aside is that I'm a serious  dickhead because I really enjoy seeing live video of people getting tazed, a guaranteed laugh out of me every time.  Shit I'm laughing just thinking about someone's body going stiff and falling to the ground.  As many dealings as I've had with the cops, I never mouthed off or ran away, because I knew that it usually ends up worse.  Anyway "Forensic Files" is interesting, the real science behind shows like CSI.  If you watch it enough and pay attention, you may just learn how to do the perfect crime.  Long story short (as usual), they did an episode on the murder of Mia Zapata, the lead singer of the Gits (not the lame Polish skinhead one that plays around today) out of Seattle.  I wasn't into grunge back in the early 90's but today I can (sadly) say that they were a seriously rocking band. [youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M27HBYALPI8&w=480&h=385]

This was kind of a cool tribute... [youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PgL3V2Cu47U&w=560&h=315]

[gallery ids="4874,4875" type="rectangular"] Well, I've been waiting for a while now, as my buddy Erich teased me some time ago, by suggesting that he might post something beautiful and rare from Infest. I don't really have anything that rare, I guess this one might be as only 1000 were pressed. A ways back here at MR, I gave you for your sampling pleasure their Slave lp which when my old junior high school mate, Bob over at Deep Six Records gets around to releasing their discography (the much awaited Neanderthal one as well), I'll be taking that down. Also gave you a pre-Infest band, Open Your Mind(OYM) that were pretty spectacular in my opinion too. But Infest, I don't care if hardcore died in '85 or '86 (I'm not inclined to disagree), these guys were THE hardcore band or at least the next logical progression in hardcore. I could sing their praises for an hour but what's the point, except to egotistically read my own words. Pissed Happy Children(PHC) are part of a long history of bassist Eric Wood bands. These guys were a nice chapter in that saga. Not the all out attack of Infest, a little more jazzy in their hardcore-ness. Was going to post their "Vigilante" 7", but in the last 30 seconds of side one of my copy there is one of those diabolical repeating skips of a scratch (tragic). So you get them and Infest which should be well worth anyone's time.

[youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9fBpIfLvTo&w=560&h=315]

This thing was re-released as a 7" about ten years late in 2000, but I don't have that (I was VERY drunk that year).  It's a shame because it had additional tracks but owe well.  To make up for that, I do have the Earth Rapers and Hell Raisers comp, which PHC made an appearance on, so it would surprise me if anybody gave a fuck but here's their contribution,

PHC - Graveyard at Sea

To wrap this up, some guy (I'm assuming it's a guy) who should be Sainted or Knighted or something has gone out of his way to give us a glimpse at Infest live.  If you didn't like the shit I've already posted by them then this will be a complete waste of your time but if not... [youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fLathLk0l8Q&w=560&h=315]

No comments:

Post a Comment