Sunday, June 20, 2010

Leftovers - Vinyl Taco Session 11/88

06-18-10 (16)Well we're back in the saddle at my house with Liam here to make sure things are BUSY.  At 13, with 14 around the corner, fucking energy just oozes from his pores.  A four day football camp over at K-State as soon as he got here only amounted to one day of tired.  In the four days since he's had fishing, BBQing, shooting the BB gun (the side window in my truck was already a casualty), mowing with the riding lawn mower, hanging out with his Kansas friend and practicing his driving on the 20 or so miles of dirt road between our farm and town.  DAMN!  A blast really and just an honor to have him around, the fruit of my loins, ha, ha.  On top of everything else he brought a microphone and as he has been doing in North Carolina he records beats off the internet and does raps over them using Audacity.  As I've said I'm very selective about what hip hop music I like, but this is my boy using his creativity, incredible.  Him and his buddies have this thing going called Ice Men and they seem to be cranking out the tunes. They're actually starting to experiment with their own beats too. Doin' his papa proud. Needless to say I'm busy, maybe too much so to do this, but fuck, I've got a few of you guys that are coming here regularly and I don't want to lose that.  We' ll keep the ball rolling in what little bit of free time I have, a'ite? For a short period of time between when I told my boss to fuck off at my city job and when I became a 24 hour a day drunk druggie, I had my own business.  On the edge really as I was still passing out every night but managed to get a few jobs done.  I called it Hrabe & Son Landscape after Sanford & Son (of course).  They have that show still playing all the time on the TV Land channel but does anybody remember the theme song.  Funky jazzy stuff that's pretty wild, dig the whole thing, Quincy Jones - Streetbeater (Sanford & Son theme song) Leftovers___Color_by_plasma_snakeYou know it's wild what pops up when you do a random image search for a word like "leftovers". Stole this fine image from a very interesting site called, Deviant Art. The artist goes by the name, Plasma Snake and if you take a look at his work he definitely works with a theme. All that because the recording I'm sharing with you for now did not come with an image of it's own, so in the not so random sense I have used my imagination. The fucking LEFTOVERS, another one of Little Jimmy's things, that he has taken the time to send my way. What a way back when kind of a treat. First local band I saw upon moving up to Humboldt in 1987 and my immediate thought was, this place is going to be a blast. I also remember thinking these guys were drunks but I was pretty drunk myself. A party band, is that better? I guess if you mean did they play parties, yes, that was the scene up in Humboldt, at least a couple a week with live bands, but I think I did see them at a few venues around Arcata too. Not sure if they ever did a tour or played outside of the county, that's something James will have clue us into, "Leftovers: 86-89. Chris Means-vox Eric Baffert-guitar James Forbes-bass John Bishop-drums leftoversRecorded @ vinyl taco in Arcata in Nov 88. We played so many shows/parties it was ridiculous.  The hardest workin band in show biz…we used to say. Opened for Screaming Trees when they were on SST.  NoMeansNo.  Lawndale. Pop O Pies.  Tusk(a Gwar type show, pre-Gwar, with members of Redd Kross, Painted Willie, etc, an SST thing). Verbal Abuse.  The last 3 were in Garberville!" Vinyl Taco was pretty much the only "real" recording studio around other than KHSU and a few guys around who had 8 and 4 track things. The last place I lived in Humboldt was the house in front as the studio was located in a shed out back. It was run by my landlord, this character named Jeff, and to be honest with you I don't think he was that good as an engineer. I believe he did the sound on the Garden Weasel 7". The mix on this one has the vocals up a bit too loud and the bass a bit too low for my taste, but when you have a band as good as the Leftovers, they easily overcome that. My favorite here is "#1 With a Bullet", check it,

Numbered Days Back of My Mind #1 With a Bullet

[youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mja3RJjs1eI]

No comments:

Post a Comment