Sunday, June 13, 2010

Dorf - Ransom Note demo

Awful quiet round here, seem to have lost a few of my regulars here at the Mustard Relics cafe.  Comments kind of keep the ball rolling but I really can't complain so I'll keep peeing outside until someone tells me to stop.

06-05-10 (2)One thing that reminds me of Humboldt around here and when I do see it I realize that if I wanted to I could be making some serious cash on the side.  I've said it before, this shit grows wild here, in this picture it's just too close to the old chicken coops to mow.  This is not smokable, I tried when I was about 14, this is straight up hemp, for making rope, leftover from the days when that was a crop.  Instant headache as far as smoking, may as well inhale the smoke from a house fire.  You  can thank chemical companies that manufacture nylon (Union Carbide, PPG, et. al.) for it not being a useful crop anymore.  Anybody ever read or heard of The Emperor Wears No Clothes, a good read if Marijuana history is your thing. My California friends tell me though that there you just need a medical marijuana card to be able to buy it at stores they have all over the place, "just look for the green cross".  Imagine if I put good seed in the ground...oh my, they'd think it was just ditch weed.  I've traveled that road though, coffee and cigarettes is plenty for me but for now gonna let my "hemp" grow to see how tall it gets. I know it's cliche and hippy of me (as despicable as that is to some), I feel compelled to post some Yellowman.  When I saw him in '87 I was blown away, or maybe just stoned out of my mind.  If you're not too closed minded give it a listen, the words are worth it, and you can't miss when it's Yellowman with his old pal Fathead, Yellowman & Fathead - I Can't Stand It My Humboldt buddy James has outdone himself again and served me up with some sweet vittles and pickens from up around there, circa '86 or '87. I was busy that year living in the dorms struggling with my first year of serious schooling (high school is just barely a warm up to what you get in college), and partying my ass off, taking full advantage of being responsible for myself and answering to no one. Between the junior college transfers, living with us who were already 21 and the dope dealers that roamed the halls, it was a battle between enriching the mind with knowledge and the forest fire of burning brain cells.   I was smoking the finest bud Humboldt had to offer, everclear jungle juice with fresh fruit out of a trash can, uncut crystal meth (geeter) straight from some freakazoid's lab and tea made from my own concoction of psychedelic mushrooms and LSD, plus it seemed like half the kids were on some kind of pharmaceutical that could be taken recreationally.  Long story short, I missed these guys.  I didn't meet James until he was in a band called the Leftovers, which I hope he's going to kick down so you can catch the greatness that was them.  15 or so years later I got hooked up with James again (virtually anyway), but he had no recollection of me.  Apparently I'm not as memorable as I thought I was.   So as I said James kicked down again with one of his bands that just blew me away.  James shared with me some of the particulars, " DORF:86-87. Nigel Hill-guitar, scary metal yells Jesse Wickman-drums, vocals James Forbes-bass, vocals Dorf was me teaching them about punk and them teaching me about metal.  This demo was recorded by Mike Briggs in Jesse’s kitchen in 87 in Arcata.  We would break up/morph into Slug, then Frottage soon. Dorf played lots of local parties and maybe a real show or 2.  Then Wickman moved away to live in Rosa, then joined Nuisance." Slug and Frottage I vaguely remember from a party or two at some time or another.  Nuisance, I have much better recollection of as you may remember I posted their Attractive Nuisance demo.  Dorf though was reason enough for Humboldt to have been on the hardcore/punk rock map.  This shit is the real deal and isn't small town dudes just trying their hand at good hard music.  Straight up love this shit.  Jame's bass playing is a plus in any band and in this case it just hits you like a slab of concrete.  Everybody in this band comes together and proves that this was definitely a scene.  I could go on and on and probably get repetitive on how off the fucking chart this shit is, but we'll stop here.  If you're a pussy and only game to try one tune, the first one he sent me as a sample, make it "Forsythe, Georgia".  Incredible,

Nebraska Raisin Rice(reprise) Apple Pie Mushroom Slug NRC Headline Smiling Crook Parts is Parts Yankee Caesar The Spider and the Fly And So Forth Forsythe, Georgia The Big House Bitchin' Kitchen Ransom Note

[youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4ahprGyz_I&w=560&h=315]

Please hit me up with some comments on this one as I want James to know it's worth it to send me shit that somebody just has to appreciate.

No comments:

Post a Comment