Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Fist - The Wanderer b/w Too Hot 7"

Ahhhhhh, the days of being shitfaced, slobbering, mumbling, pissing yourself, falling down drunk. It brings back warm memories or do I just remember other people doing that, because every time I was that way, I blacked out. Nothing like having absolutely no fucking self control. I made this GIF, I steal/borrow all the other ones I use, so it was kind of cool to find this site GIFSoup where you can make your own from stuff on Youtube. I might have fun with that, maybe you could too.

I need to do some reading up on global warming, which I know very little bit about, because here we are almost half way through November and it's 80 degrees outside. As I said I haven't read up on it but I do know big business has denied everything (just like the tobacco companies and cancer), because God forbid there be a link between polution and the state of the planet. That environmental shit cuts into profits, ya know? So...how's the weather, where you live?

I'll be 42 in a couple of months and I have not be kind to my body or mind, so go figure, I'm falling apart. Funny (maybe not so) thing is I went to the doctor for some bullshit and they measured my height for the first time I can remember in probably decades. I've always said 5'10", that's what my driver's license says, but the reality is that I'm really 5" 9 1/2" and I figured I could just round up. Well at my doctor's appointment it turns out that I have shrunk and am now a straight up 5'9". Fucking lost a 1/2". Maybe I'm like that guy in the movie Shutter, with the ghost of a wronged ex-girlfriend on my back, weighing me down.

A pinhole camera project from Graphic Arts class in Junior High School, with my buddy Julius Szabo (don't know what happened to him, but you do know I did eventually cut my hair). Got my Vans sneakers, Levis jeans and that was before it was cool to wear Raiders gear.  My two favorite bands back then were Crass and Slayer (with Slayer can you tell?), how's that for contrast?  You don't have to make sense when you're 14.  The next year I did get a chance to see Slayer, along with Venom and Exodus, that was one of my favorite shows.  Stoner?  Well I'll plead the 5th on that one.  Had a blast in those days, old enough to appreciate some things but zero responsibility.  I'll have to dig it out and see if I can get it scanned, but in the junior high yearbook, I was voted friendliest, that picture will make you smile.  I loved the 80's. Also in 1983, Raw Power released their demo, fucking insane versions of two of their classics Raw Power - Raw Power / Fuck Authority I'm pretty sure I got this Fist 7" (their last) in the used bin the year the above picture was taken, although it was released the year before. Used to take the bus down Victory, from Burbank to North Hollywood. Over on Laurel Canyon there was this awesome record store/head shop called Auditory Odyssey, that had a great new/used selection of records along with the mandatory posters, drug paraphernalia, and other trippy odds and ends. I bought this one because it was on Neat Records, which was the same label as Venom and even though I don't know much, was one of the main NWOBHM labels. My buddy Erich over at the Good Bad Music is the spiritual adviser on the genre and actually other than Venom, Iron Maiden (some might include Motorhead) and this one I know nothing. When I got this one home in 1983, I played it, thought it really sucked (NOTHING like Venom), and never played it again. A year or so ago when I started to learn about and in some cases appreciate, the genre, I pulled this thing out. Well...the title track, a cover of Dion's 50's hit, "the Wanderer", is easily the worst cover song I have ever heard and in fact, by posting it here, it may be the worst song I have put out there for y'all in the three years I've been doing MR. If you don't believe me, I dare you to give it a listen, and let me know what you think. The totally ridiculous cover suits the song.  Now the second song, "Too Hot", is somewhat of a different story. I can see why I didn't like it back then, on the surface it just doesn't have any balls, at least like Venom (or does it?). It is representative though of the genre which for me is kind of a blend of that heavy late sixties/early seventies hard rock/ heavy metal, 70's guitar (cock) rock, and sort that punky smart ass English vibe. I can appreciate this now, because you can get a feel for the real basic heaviness, on this tune especially on how the drums and guitar work together. I'm not very good at analyzing this stuff, but these days, for me, it just works and this is just a bad ass rockin' tune. The Wanderer Too Hot

 

No comments:

Post a Comment