
Had this out of this world, vivid dream, the other night. Most of humanity was made up of zombies, vampires and werewolves. There were just a few "regular" people left running, hiding and fighting to stay alive. Blood, brain matter, guts and body parts everywhere! I'm a huge fan of gory special effects, but of course this was a dream and not limited by technology or creativity. They reflected this disgusting hunger, taking bites and swallowing without chewing. You could feel the fear and despair like they were tangible, I could definitely feel it inside and out. Not a nightmare really, my adrenaline was pumping, but in my mind I just accepted it for how the world was. It felt very real while I was dreaming and even for a few seconds after I woke up. It's interesting because I've been reading some text book type stuff on traditional Native American belief systems and one of the many topics is the importance of dreams. Spirituality was a part of every day life down to the most seemingly insignificant act, so dreams tended to reflect that sensitivity and connection. Insight into cosmic balance and imbalance. For me of course I'm pretty far removed from that in a completely different culture setting, so even though there might be some insight to be found in my dreams they take on a different form. A reflection of my world. My favorite show this year was the Walking Dead so go figure I would have a similar experience in my dreams. But I feel like there's something relevant in the dream. The ugly, disconnected, imbalanced side of humanity that seems to be way of life for the vast majority of people. Selfishly feeding off of each other, like cannibals.
Was at the low income housing where one of my clients lives and I could hear children playing. The sounds of glee filled laughter, raucous giggling and the pitter patter of little feet running all over the place. I couldn't see the kids but all of a sudden I had this profound realization...sooner or later when you hear those things, the sounds will always stop and instantly stop and be immediately replaced by one kid screaming hysterically and crying uncontrollably. Pay attention sometime when you're around a bunch of kids playing. "It's all fun and games till someone get's their eye poked out" - unknown.

Whenever I'm on the computer I'm pretty much constantly listening to music. Youtube is good source for finding that one song that's been hiding in the back of your mind and for some unknown reason has decide to step up to the front. This tune was a pop(ular) one in about 1979 but I think it still sounds good, with it's catchy melody and almost heavy synth sound at times. CLASSIC!
Gary Numan - Cars
I saw this one performed on the early 80's LA public access cable show New Wave Theater. 20 years ago and I've never heard anything else by them, nor will we I guess because there is no presence on the web except for the video on youtube and one of the comments. Trippy minimalist synth/slide guitar stuff with clarinet solos.
Heroic Struggles- Cool Monsters From the Deep
In that comment on youtube apparently the singer and maybe a couple other members went on to be in a band called Outer Circle. The
Systems of Romance blog offers up both their 12"s for our listening pleasure. The 2nd 12" was just unimpressive new wave but the 1st one started out with this killer track
Outer Circle - Blind Venetians
Quite a variety on that 1st 12, this tune wasn't bad either,
Outer Circle - Another Moon
My buddy Batguano over at
Fugitive Equilibrium is always coming up with some good harder edge listening. This band has an out of this world female vocalist (reminds me of Jae from A.P.P.L.E. who was featured here at MR), backed up by some hard hitting music,
Godless - OCA
They do a nice (not as good as the original of course) Rudimentary Peni cover
Godless - Blissful Myth
And a Conflict (featured here as well) too,
Godless - I've Had Enough
My buddy Erich mentioned these guys as being "the millisecond before blastbeat." A pre-Repulsion band, who of course are one of the godfathers of grindcore. Some seriously driving music, a couple for you from their WFBE radio show demo,
Genocide - Slaughter of the Innocent
Genocide - Six Feet Under

I got this record for a $1 from Devin over at
IFB Records. Check his site out because he's got quite a label along with killer distro/used stuff. Pretty much picked this one up just because Truck Johnson are outta Omaha Nebraska, similarly isolated here in the "real" midwest. Except when it comes to college football I think a lot of people here in northwest Kansas see Nebraska as being similar. Omaha is of course a city so they've got a lot more going on than I do around here including Truck Johnson. I labeled them as hardcore but really this isn't very harsh. Hard hitting at times and overall well worth the dollar I paid for it. The vocalist reminds be of my buddy Chris Squire from Labrador and Mach 5, and a shit load of other bands. Anyway, I really don't know shit about this record except that the first song there is a killer, I just fucking love it. Careful though it's catchy as fuck and will get stuck in your head.
Red Menace
Methuselah
Phil Jones, Iron Man!
Avail Show
No comments:
Post a Comment