The Big Lewbowski, almost goes with saying, is one of those contemporary classics, and, with John Goodman, John Turturro, Sam Elliott and Steve Buschemi, how can it miss. Saw a thing on the Bio channel about Jeff Bridges and found him to be a genuinely interesting, extremely creative and a down to earth person (and I'm not much of a celebrity fan). They also had some interview clips of John Goodman and that man has definitely lost weight/aged. I think I've mentioned my adoration for the movie before and along with that, for the hardcore fan,
a celebration of all things Lebowski.

Kind of quiet around here since the holidays, maybe everyone is still digesting. Made me think of this time, must've been around 1980 when I was with my Mom and her best friend at this store in Hollywood called the House of Hermetic. Not sure if it's even around anymore, but it had been around for a while, run by these elderly sisters who were a lot older than they looked. The store was sort of a full service, everything that you could imagine that would be necessary for witchcraft/Wiccan, Santa Ria, Voodoo, Rosacrucian, etc. place. Nothing hinting at New Age, this place was the real deal. I think between my Cuban Godmother's passive Santa Ria and this store, my superstitions and spirituality were born. So anyway this one time we were there and there were three or four of these guys/gals who were being loud, obnoxious and generally rude. In my mind kind of stereotypically white trash, but more in general not believers and definitely not even curious. I was pretty young, but no so young that I didn't know that they were just assholes. Not to long after I made that realization, a funky odor started to fill the store. It was a stink, but not like an obvious stink such as a rank fart or rotten food. An interesting stink, let's say. While I was thinking about that, the offensive people just quietly left. I didn't put two and two together until later when one of the old ladies apologized about the smell which as quickly as it had come had been replaced by something more pleasant. She told me that she had lit something that for most people burns with an unpleasant smell, but for those few people who put a lot of negativity in the world it is nauseating and will make them immediately try to escape the smell. I hope that's not the explanation for it being so quiet and empty around here, ha, ha. True story.
A couple of posts back I posted this epic tune, one of the best of over a hundred that you can find on Crass Records three Bullshit Detector comps,
Counter Attack - Don't Wanna Fight For You
After that, spent some time trying to track down anything else by the band or even any kind of info, but nothing so far (although still waiting on a reply to an email from one of the heavy hitters of that scene). In the meantime, found this cover, not as good as the original, which almost goes without saying, but it is Citizen Fish so it is worth a listen,
Citizen Fish - Don't Wanna Fight For You
For you hardcore fans, I was recently reminded of, and want to highly recommend you give Mystic Records' "We got Party" a listen. Years ago I had a dubbed tape of it which must have been played to death. I found it again over at
Glorify the Turd. All kinds of "hits" by mostly unknown bands on that, including,
No We're Not - Smokey The Bear
Toxic Noise - Janitor
Skullbusters - Rat Race
...and probably my favorite...
The Grim - Venetian Blind
For you not so hardcore folks, my old bro, Sang, years ago turned me onto Throwing Muses and to this day I'm still thriving on them, off and on. I don't know anything about what the band is doing today (as stuck in the past as I am), but I've gotten some enjoyment out of one of their founders and I guess a serious creative force,
Kirsten Hersh. Think I posted my favorite tune of theirs in passing a while back, so this time may as well do some overkill on it.
From the (must have) 4AD comp "Lonely is an Eyesore",
Throwing Muses - Fish
...the "In a Doghouse" demo
Throwing Muses - Fish
...live, Living room, Providence, 28.03.87
Throwing Muses - Fish
..live, Glastonbury Festival '89,
Throwing Muses - Fish
...the video.

Got this one not too long ago, for no other reason than it was an unusual 6". I'd heard of these guys before, seriously noisy stuff that these days I seem to be shying away from, but you can't deny these guys were fucking great at what they do. Can't really find anything about them, maybe if you give a fuck you can, but what I did find out there is a least one lame band called Stack out there. My buddy Billy over at
7 Inch Crust has a post on them that gives you much more info than I could ever find. This was released in 1997 and if you check the blogosphere it's been posted at least a half dozen times, but it was something I just listened to, I like to mix things up a bit around here and really, I can post what ever the Greatful Dead I want to around here. Ha, ha.
Erase
In The Line Of Fire
No comments:
Post a Comment